PDA

View Full Version : Sacrificing customisability

oasmar1
April 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Do you think it has become time to limit customisability of Ubuntu to try and make the out of the box experience better and make the programs have a more unified look? I mean of course there are going to be many people who will find this a bad choice but to be honest as Mac OS X has shown if you make the original OS look good enough you will find that nobody cares about customising it. I think that Ubuntu should go for the same route as Mac OS X, give ubuntu a nice default look, limit the amount it can be customised and then create some guide lines for the interface which Apps should follow so that a more continuous OS can be created.

^ Ignore that, I would delete it but it would make the rest of this topic a bit strange

smartboyathome
April 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Doing that will kill off much of the current userbase. Not only that, but the developers (which Ubuntu needs much of) won't be able to get their prefered environment up, and as such won't develop for Ubuntu, leaving it less people to work on it.

swoll1980
April 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM
That's very subjective. I happen to believe that OSX is nasty ugly.

oasmar1
April 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I guess you guys are right. :KS Although in my suggestion it would be like getting a new DE (like a customised Gnome) as the default DE with normal Gnome as an option for anybody to choose once they have installed the OS (just like how sessions can be chosen now)

RiceMonster
April 6th, 2009, 09:25 PM
No, never, ever. One of the reasons I don't like OSX is because it's like a brick; you can't change anything. Plus, I don't think the fact that it's easily customizable is keeping it from looking nice.

chucky chuckaluck
April 6th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Do you think it has become time to limit customisability of Ubuntu to try and make the out of the box experience better and make the programs have a more unified look?

how would limiting the options for customizi ng ubuntu improve the out of the box experience? in other words, what customization options do you feel are spoiling that experience? none that i can think of. what you're really suggesting is forcing everyone to use the same options. why would anyone want that? have i misunderstood?

blueshiftoverwatch
April 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Do you think it has become time to limit customisability of Ubuntu to try and make the out of the box experience better and make the programs have a more unified look?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Are you saying that users shouldn't have the option of being able to by default go into their settings and change the color or windowing themes?

Ubuntu's GNOME and Kubuntu's KDE are both fully customizable as far as how they look and how the applications on both of them look. If I go into the Ubuntu's GUI settings and change something in there every application that runs with GTK is also going to change to match what I've chosen. The same with Kubuntu's KDE settings changing everything that runs on Qt.

The only problem I see in creating a continuous graphical interface that runs for the entire OS is that a lot of people use both GTK and Qt applications on the same system. K3B is one of the more popular ones that GNOME users use that comes to mind. I don't currently run any Qt applications but I believe (I can't check because I'm using OSX right now) that there is something in my system settings that'll let me customize the look of Qt. So if I were using Qt applications I could modify it to look close to how the GTK applications look. There are also minor incompatibility problems between GTK and Qt applications, such as I believe the protocols for putting items in the trash being different.

So I think that graphical compatibility is something that needs to be worked out between the GTK people and the Qt people. It's not really anything that I think that Mark Shuttleworth or the Ubuntu developers are in a position to change.

swoll1980
April 6th, 2009, 09:39 PM
The only problem I see in creating a continuous graphical interface that runs for the entire OS is that a lot of people use both GTK and Qt applications on the same system. K3B is one of the more popular ones that GNOME users use that comes to mind.

Virtualbox is another. If it were not for vbox I wouldn't have qt

SunnyRabbiera
April 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM
You got to be kidding me, reduce customization what drug are you smoking?
I hate OSX's lack of customization, same with XP and both need workarounds to look the way you want them to.
I like linux better because you dont need crap like windowsblinds or some risky 3rd party software that costs $50 and barely works and gives you a nice set of adware for your troubles.
If you like a OS that locks down the interface use windows and OSX.
If you like freedom to make your OS look any way you like use linux...
simple

rudihawk
April 6th, 2009, 09:44 PM
If that happens I'll dump Ubuntu as fast as I could and move to something else. Or create my own distro :D

oasmar1
April 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Haha, I already accepted defeat :P

chucky chuckaluck
April 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Haha, I already accepted defeat :P

off with his/her head!!!

Bölvağur
April 6th, 2009, 10:22 PM
indeed. I am amazed that anyone would be able to say it looks good. Im not even sure if I have heard anyone (sane) say it.

bakedbeans4life
April 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Even Microsoft adopted "skinning" their OS as a way of forming a community with Windows XP. Some of the best themes of any OS I've seen have come from this.

billgoldberg
April 6th, 2009, 11:11 PM

Ditto.

Well not nastly ugly, but just plain, nothing special.

To OP:

It won't happen.

MaxIBoy
April 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM
indeed. I am amazed that anyone would be able to say it looks good. Im not even sure if I have heard anyone (sane) say it.Dock+white+gray+abuse of the desktop metaphor+no escape possible+treats you like an idiot+no full textmode = bad.