PDA

View Full Version : new improved Dark Ubuntu Forums (all images replaced)

tjwoosta
April 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Ok, So Ive been spending alot of time this week working on making a darker easier on the eyes, Ubuntu forums

I have replaced 90% of the icons as well as fixed all of the colors for the reminder boxes, announcements, etc.

Now some of you may remember seeing something about this last week on the forums, but unfortunatly not many of you were happy with what I achieved, and to be honest neither was I

But after some constructive criticism, and a few hours of tweaking I feel that I have finally achieved what I was after

on to the point !

The way this works is through the use of a firefox extension called stylish

what is stylish?

Stylish allows easy management of user styles. User styles empower your browsing experience by letting you fix ugly sites, customize the look of your browser or mail client, or just have fun. With an online repository at userstyles.org, you don't even need to know how to write styles yourself; just a couple clicks and the chosen style is applied. Stylish is to CSS what Greasemonkey is to JavaScript, and unlike other methods of using user styles, most styles take effect immediately.

To use the new Dark Ubuntu Forums follow theese simple steps

1. Install the stylish extension in firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108

2. Download my style
It comes in 5 patrs, with two different versions of part 1 (one is for borderless and the other is with the border)

(you can find links to the other 4 parts from part 1)

Its simple just start with part 1 (either borderless or original, make a choice) and click the link that says "load into stylish" then go the the next part, and so on untill you have all 5 parts

part 1 (original) http://userstyles.org/styles/16624

part 1 (borderless) http://userstyles.org/styles/16677

3. ENJOY!

4. Comment! Please, I would love to see some feedback from the community

Constructive Critisism Welcome!

if there are any problems with any of the links or pages that you can see please let me know and i will try to fix it

also if anybody notices any icons that are missing, or need touching up, please just attach or paste a copy of the page source and describe what you are talking about and i will see what i can do

EDIT:

also sry for the inconvience, but any of you who are using the version of the forums that i released last week will need to remove the old style and install all 5 parts of the new one in order to get everything working

billgoldberg
April 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Just installed it and it looks great.

Just some slight problems with the "reply to thread" text formatting icons.

hessiess
April 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Massive improvement! though there isn't enough contrast between the text and background.

Do you mind explaining what each of the 5 parts does?

Edit:

http://www.hessiess.dyndns.org/files/Screenshot.png

Sand & Mercury
April 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM
There are a few bits and pieces missing but you've done a sterling job. Using it now. :D

mips
April 6th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Very nice & much easier on the eyes.

There are however a few bits that still need work like the buttons in Reply to Thread that I see now while writing this.

SomeGuyDude
April 6th, 2009, 09:01 PM
SGD approves.

Giant Speck
April 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
While it certainly does look nice, it wouldn't look right with my current theme.

It's a shame there isn't a blank UF userstyle template where you could just fill in your desired color scheme. I'd just love to make a Macchiato UF theme.

metallicamike
April 6th, 2009, 09:15 PM
SGD approves.

+1
it is very nice! well done

tjwoosta
April 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Just some slight problems with the "reply to thread" text formatting icons.

done!

Massive improvement! though there isn't enough contrast between the text and background.

im still working on the parts you were pointing out in the images, but it will be done soon

Do you mind explaining what each of the 5 parts does?

well its kinda hard to explain uless you know CSS, in which case you could just look at it and see what its doing

basically page 1 has all of the colors and style and everything

while pages 2-5 are all of the images (there in base64 format)

There are however a few bits that still need work like the buttons in Reply to Thread that I see now while writing this.

fixed!

It's a shame there isn't a blank UF userstyle template where you could just fill in your desired color scheme. I'd just love to make a Macchiato UF theme.

its not really that difficult if you have a basic understanding of the language, i just learned like two days ago (it only took me about 30 minutes of playing around to get it)

all the colors are in hex (#3e3e3e and #262626 mostly)

as for the images you can just change the color or whatever in gimp then save as the desired format and convert with a base64 converter like this one

(make sure to put a check in the box that says base64 up at the top)
http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/cgi/data/data

and thank you all for your comments, it really helps

TO UPDATE:

delete page 1, restart firefox, then reinstall page 1

or..

you could also use the stylish find updates option, but im not sure how well that actually works

just highlight page 1 of the style in stylish and click find updates

also i will be periodically updating with some minor, so remember to check for updates once in a wile

EDIT: ps, im working on the quote button and quick reply box next

mips
April 6th, 2009, 10:54 PM
The "report post" button takes you to a screen where the text background is white. Only noticed that now

tjwoosta
April 6th, 2009, 11:10 PM
The "report post" button takes you to a screen where the text background is white. Only noticed that now

really?

ok im trying to fix that now

also i just updated again (i know i update too much)

i just fixed the quick reply box as well as the stuff that hessiess pointed to in his pictures

EDIT: the report post page is Fixed!!

lyceum
April 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
First, I want to commend you, this is an awesome idea, and I would love to see more themes.

Second, I don't like the way it looks. But, that is just me. I find it harder to read. Everyone has their own thing :)

Third it would be cool to see a website dedicated to making themes for the Ubuntu Forums.

Keep it up!

:guitar:

aktiwers
April 7th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Great work! Thanks loving it :)

Edit.. it seams to have a small problem with the background on Smileys..

tjwoosta
April 8th, 2009, 02:34 AM
UPDATE

Great work! Thanks loving it :)

Edit.. it seams to have a small problem with the background on Smileys..

i fixed it just now, along with a bunchof other improvements

i had to make a page 6 for it though because userstyles.org only allows the styles to be so long before you have to split it up

so to update the smileys and some other icons that i added just download page 6 here

http://userstyles.org/styles/16808

UPDATE

tjwoosta
April 8th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Third it would be cool to see a website dedicated to making themes for the Ubuntu Forums.

well im sure there are no websites dedicated to customizing the ubuntu forums, but there are many websited dedicated to teaching CSS and how to do custom stylesheets

you should take a look at some different users stylesheets on userstyles.org , its really easy to learn

i learned in about 3 hours of just messing around with other peoples styles

lyceum
April 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM
well im sure there are no websites dedicated to customizing the ubuntu forums, but there are many websited dedicated to teaching CSS and how to do custom stylesheets

you should take a look at some different users stylesheets on userstyles.org , its really easy to learn

i learned in about 3 hours of just messing around with other peoples styles

If I made a place for something like that on my website, would that be cool, or just another cheesy thing? I am really into this idea, and I know that not everyone has the time or skills to do stuff like that.

Dr Small
April 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Awesome man. I'm using it now, and I love it! :D

missbliss
April 8th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Pretty decent! The dark themes are not really my thing, but it all looks nice together to me!

DougieFresh4U
April 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks, I love dark themes

tjwoosta
April 8th, 2009, 09:46 PM
UPDATE

just updated again

i fixed icq, aim, yahoo, msn, digg, stumbleupon, delicious, and google icons

as well as the multiquote, quickreply, and view thread buttons

the only button that i couldnt fix was the skype icon and thats because it pulls the icon from eash individual users skype account

meaning i would have to make an icon for ever single skype user and thats obviously not going to happen

if anyone knows a way to do it differntly, that would be awesome please share

also i figured out that stylish's update function actually does work!

so as long as you already have all 6 pages installed you can update as follows

1. right click on the stylish icon and choose manage styles

2. highlight whichever styles you want to update

3. click find updates

4. choose update all

UPDATE

markp1989
April 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM
thanks, im using it now:D

TeoBigusGeekus
October 30th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Excellent!!! Long awaited... I should have found this much earlier.
I'm using it, with a few modifications of my own - I hope you don't mind.
Brilliant work!

http://imgur.com/u3uKo.jpg

http://imgur.com/3JQU5.jpg

http://imgur.com/3uQxc.jpg

Zerocool Djx
October 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM
It it's definitely easier on the eyes,.. however the sandy color like inside this box,.. not so much... I like the color just not so much grainy,.. Plus I would make the ubuntu logo a bit better make the color match the background like the reg version. good job tho,.. I like it ofr the most part..

TeoBigusGeekus
October 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM
It it's definitely easier on the eyes,.. however the sandy color like inside this box,.. not so much... I like the color just not so much grainy,.. Plus I would make the ubuntu logo a bit better make the color match the background like the reg version. good job tho,.. I like it ofr the most part..

You can change the font colour in the first part of the script, like I did.

earthpigg
October 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
i like