PDA

View Full Version : should i try mint?

mamamia88
April 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
i heard it's an offshoot of ubuntu with a few things added do you think it's worth a shot?

Mrandersonjr
April 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Try it and see how you like it,I've been using Mint 5 for quite sometime. You get extra software on mint.

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 07:21 PM
The only real advantage OOTB is the included Codecs, which you also get in Crunchbang and a few others, and a new theme.

I advise against Mint because most people dno't need 90% of the stuff it adds, wasting space on their computer.

I generally say to people to get Crunchbang Lite if they want OOTB Codec support, and an individual style from Ubuntu, or just to use (K/X)Ubuntu and add the restricted-extras

mamamia88
April 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
the only complaints i have with ubuntu is sometimes pulseaudio stops sound from working and flash crashes Firefox so i use epiphany. are these problems any better in mint?

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Probably not, though possibly.

if they are, it would be purely due to incorrect configuration on Ubuntu.

Mint = Ubuntu + more programs + a nice theme + codecs.

that's pretty much it, tbh.

Also: Flash crashing? 64 bit or 32bit?

mamamia88
April 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
32bit it happens so rarerly though it's almost a non issue. the sound issue happens more frequently but i can fix that in 10 seconds by issuing "killall pulseaudio" in a terminal

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Afraid I've never had a sound issue in Linux, so I can't help here, but as I said, if it works in Mint perfectly, it's justa different configuration, because all the backend is the same as regular ubuntu.

mamamia88
April 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
cool im going to at least give the live cd a chance or install it in a vm.

tdrusk
April 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Why mint is awesome: flash crash recovery

If flash crashes Firefox, it will just white out the tab, not crash the whole browser.

mamamia88
April 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
really sounds great i'd love to use firefox again but it's too buggy for my liking in ubuntu

khelben1979
April 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Of course you can try it, but if you need a good distribution, you should go for Debian instead, according to my own opinion.

ComputerHermit
April 6th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I think mint is good I used it for a long time along with ubuntu

Mehall
Why mint is awesome: flash crash recovery

If flash crashes Firefox, it will just white out the tab, not crash the whole browser.

If it's so good why hasn't it been sent upstream?

The only browser I know to do this effectively is Chrome on Windows.

mamamia88
Of course you can try it, but if you need a good distribution, you should go for Debian instead, according to my own opinion.

yeah i tried debian before couldn't get wireless to work and it ran older version of gnome which i'm sure i could install newer version

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
yeah i tried debian before couldn't get wireless to work and it ran older version of gnome which i'm sure i could install newer version

use Debian Testing if you want more recent stuff.

Debian Stable is out-dated because it's made for sheer stability.

Other than OpenBSD (only two remote flaws in the default install in 10 years!!) I can't think of a more stable/secure OS, possibly even not freeBSD (heh, now you can have Debian GNU/BSD xD Stability out your **** once it reaches stable archives)

mamamia88
April 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
cool i think ill try mint later i have nothing better to do

gn2
April 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
the only complaints i have with ubuntu is sometimes pulseaudio stops sound from working and flash crashes Firefox

Easily cured by removing pulseaudio and libflashsupport.

kaixi
April 6th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Speaking from experience, I should warn you that it's harder to do distros upgrades in Mint and it uses more resources than Ubuntu. Personally, I also faced some minor bugs that I hadn't come across in Ubuntu. That said, I think overall Mint is a very usable and user-friendly distro.

mamamia88
April 6th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Easily cured by removing pulseaudio and libflashsupport.

can you remove pulseaudio without removing the desktop environment?

Twitch6000
April 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
*pounds head on desk due ubuntu fan boys*

Okay all I have freaking heard around here is mint is just ubuntu with a few addons or a new theme arghh arghh arghh.

I think the truth is you are scared of Mint YEAH THATS RIGHT SCARED.

You know mint is more user friendly,truly listens to its community,oh and IMO looks alot better by default :/.

Now to answer the question.

Yes you should try mint.

Why?

Here are 10 reasons -

1. Mint has its own GUI tools for almost anything.
2. Great community that LISTENS.
3. Great default themes
4. Mint is less buggy atleast on the machines I tried it on.
5. If you have an idea for Mint and want to submit it,good chance it will happen.(if it is useful that is)
6. Comes with codecs so that saves you a few clicks :).
7. I think there is 4 or 5 other community editions so if you don't like gnome you will find another edition for you.
8. I find installing programs on Mint so so easy. I think Mint has the second easiest way of installing,Mandriva 2009.1 takes the cake.
9. Mint also comes with those extra tools to fix wireless or graphics problems.
10. Last,but not least There is also a Universal Edition so if you don't want the codecs by default due to your countries laws no problem.

11. BONUS BONUS - They have a install in windows feature like ubuntu so it makes installing easier for windows users :).

Now just to be a fair guy and such I will say all the mint tools and such can be installed in ubuntu. Just like apt-get can be used in a .rpm using distro.(pclinuxos does this)

I will also say there are some other things in Linux Mint under the hood too.

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Number 11: it's not a feature "like" ubunutu. Mint IS Ubuntu as much as Kubuntu is (possibly more) of COURSE they have that feature.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If so many of these great things are in Mint, why aren;t any sent/adopted upstream?

Twitch6000
April 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Number 11: it's not a feature "like" ubunutu. Mint IS Ubuntu as much as Kubuntu is (possibly more) of COURSE they have that feature.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If so many of these great things are in Mint, why aren;t any sent/adopted upstream?

Okay I am going to ask you the same question only in a different way.

Since you are just another pesky ubuntu fanboy who knows nothing about other great distros.

What great features has ubuntu sent upstream?

Oh and don't say the installing in windows either because they took that from wubi ;).

That is also where Linux Mint got that feature is WUBI except they had to tweak it a bit more to fit their distro.

SuperSonic4
April 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Isn't point 6 illegal in some parts of the world?

As for point 8 - how is the new Mandriva? I was going to give it a test run on my pc once the stable version was out which should be very soon :D

Mint's KDE interpretation is even worse than Kubuntu's :p

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Okay I am going to ask you the same question only in a different way.

Since you are just another pesky ubuntu fanboy who knows nothing about other great distros.

What great features has ubuntu sent upstream?

Oh and don't say the installing in windows either because they took that from wubi ;).

That is also where Linux Mint got that feature is WUBI except they had to tweak it a bit more to fit their distro.

They made the new notification system, due to be sent upstream when they are sure it's stable.

They also solved the SSL issue for Debian a while back. They've done a few other things, but they've mostly been making their own distro and getting it solid, but given that there is certainly more of a difference between Debian and Ubuntu than Mint and Ubuntu, Mint should at least be offering anything new they have upstream. Ubuntu haven't made all that new things, but what they HAVE done has been sent to Debian.

Twitch6000
April 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Isn't point 6 illegal in some parts of the world?

As for point 8 - how is the new Mandriva? I was going to give it a test run on my pc once the stable version was out which should be very soon :D

Mint's KDE interpretation is even worse than Kubuntu's :p

Thats why they made the universal edition I stated in point 10 :).

Mandriva 2009.1 is a very very good distro. I suggest anyone give it a go :). It is also good for people new to .rpms

Twitch6000
April 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM
They made the new notification system, due to be sent upstream when they are sure it's stable.

They also solved the SSL issue for Debian a while back. They've done a few other things, but they've mostly been making their own distro and getting it solid, but given that there is certainly more of a difference between Debian and Ubuntu than Mint and Ubuntu, Mint should at least be offering anything new they have upstream. Ubuntu haven't made all that new things, but what they HAVE done has been sent to Debian.

Okay good point on the notification system.

Still though that seems to be only one thing.

Now you are still bashing Mint about sending things upstream...

Well I am not sure if this would count in your close minded world...

However mint does allow anyone to download their tools in their software area on their site.

Link here - http://www.linuxmint.com/software/

and also here

http://packages.linuxmint.com/

mamamia88
April 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM
ok tried live cd don't think i'm gonna go to a full install really don't like menu and it's not different enough to warrant erasing ubuntu and installing it

SuperSonic4
April 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Thats why they made the universal edition I stated in point 10 :).

Mandriva 2009.1 is a very very good distro. I suggest anyone give it a go :). It is also good for people new to .rpms

Yeah, I've used all the mandrivas from 2008.0 but 2009 kept chucking up errors on kde 3 apps such as amarok

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Okay good point on the notification system.

Still though that seems to be only one thing.

Now you are still bashing Mint about sending things upstream...

Well I am not sure if this would count in your close minded world...

However mint does allow anyone to download their tools in their software area on their site.

Link here - http://www.linuxmint.com/software/

yes, you can download Mint programs..... for Mint.

And I just had a look. You are counting Firefox in the app store? Clam AV? VBox?

I don't see all that much I haven't seen in other distros.

Twitch6000
April 6th, 2009, 10:42 PM
yes, you can download Mint programs..... for Mint.

And I just had a look. You are counting Firefox in the app store? Clam AV? VBox?

I don't see all that much I haven't seen in other distros.

*rolls eyes*

Here since you are still being close minded

http://packages.linuxmint.com/#6main a direct link to their main home brewed programs and artwork.

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 10:52 PM
*rolls eyes*

Here since you are still being close minded

http://packages.linuxmint.com/#6main a direct link to their main home brewed programs and artwork.

I stand by my judgement: 3/4 of what Mint does is make it look "prettier", and I never use the default themes in any OS for very long (Crunchbang was an exception, and now no longer is.)

if you look a good number of those are labelled "-mint" and a number. That's no different from what Ubuntu does: Takes a package, finds something that doesn't *quite* work right for them (and only them) and change it so that it does.

There are plenty of people who criticise Ubuntu for that.

"Gnome-network-tool"? Wicd

"Gnome-screenshot"? Just use Shutter or whatever it's called now (Gscrot) or learn scrot.

I take back what I said before, Mint doesn;t need to send anything much upstream, because I wouldn't use it if it were upstream anyway most likely.

gn2
April 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
One area where Mint lags behind is 64-bit, six months on and days away from 9.04, the current 8.10 based Linux Mint 6 64-bit is still at RC1.

Another area lacking in Mint is installation methods.

vieux
April 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM
meh.. I use both. Ubuntu on my main workstation and Mint on me laptop. I have a habit of changing distros often on the laptop and funnily enough I haven't had a reason to change away from Mint there since I installed it. It does everything I need it to do, is as intuitive (if not more) than Ubuntu and WoW behaves via Wine.

It detected my wireless and sound correctly straight away and all in all, I've had a good experience with Mint. And it has enough eye candy out of the box to catch my visitor's eye anytime they come over.

bakedbeans4life
April 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Why not, it's a free download. What do you have to lose. Even in a virtual machine it may prove interesting.

Mulenmar
April 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM
@twitch6000: Hey, any chance you could find out if it would be alright to use the Linux Mint themes to create a Ubuntu version? I used Mint a while back, loved the look. Don't want to make it from scratch though.

Would just install mint and strip out cruft (stuff I don't need) so it uses less resources, but I don't feel like downloading another set of packages that are Mint-specific when I've got the Ubuntu-versions that took me hours to download.

You could begin the "porting" (too strong a word) of the Mint features into Ubuntu. Calling everyone Ubuntu fanboys 1. Insults female Ubuntu users (just say fanatics :lolflag: ) and 2. Starts possible flames and trollish insults.

On-topic: That said, if the tools in Mint are easier to use than the ones in Ubuntu, I say they SHOULD be sent upstream. Ubuntu strives to be the easiest-to-use (and secure/stable) desktop distro, right? Then let the noob-friendly software swim upstream. If it's insecure or whatever, the grizzly bears (aka bugfixers -- they're awesome) will do a little "surgery" on them.

In the meantime, if you have the resources for it, try Mint.

WatchingThePain
April 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Ubuntu with a few things added?
No, more like Ubuntu with a few things subtracted. Still worth a shot though.

ell02
April 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Some how mint seems to have the edge over ubuntu for someones first linux experience.My wife uses it and likes it a lot,the kids like it as well as a nephew.That is whats important to me they like and are comfortable with mint(linux).i use ubuntu thats what i like.

richg
April 7th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I installed Mint 6 over Ubuntu 8.04 because I could watch commercial DVDs right out of the box. I do not like working under the "hood" and the "easy fixes for Ubuntu to watch DVDs did not work for me. Small difference but it works for me. Other than that, Ubuntu was ok.

Rich

dragos240
April 7th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Too flashy for me, and I really like ubuntu the way it is, and I really, REALLY, want to try gentoo!

cardinals_fan
April 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Too flashy for me, and I really like ubuntu the way it is, and I really, REALLY, want to try gentoo!
You may not survive to regret that statement...

dragos240
April 7th, 2009, 01:37 AM
You may not survive to regret that statement...

What part, installing gentoo, or that mint is too flashy?

swoll1980
April 7th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I say try them all. One good thing a Linux is that you can install, and uninstall at will. I've tried like 20 distros. I always find my way back here though.

cardinals_fan
April 7th, 2009, 01:53 AM
What part, installing gentoo, or that mint is too flashy?
Gentoo. It almost killed me.

.Maleficus.
April 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Ahhh Gentoo. Good times, good times. I've been meaning to download and install it on my server again (I've been on /g/ waaay too much and all I ever see is "Install Gentoo"). It's most definitely not for the faint of heart though.

As for Mint: I just don't like it. For some reason, it just seems like they've taken all of the "Linux" out of Linux. It looks like it's trying way too hard to be Windows. I don't know though, I've never used it and never plan to. Mint lovers - why would someone like me want Mint? I can install codecs just fine and theming is no big deal. Other than those reasons (and their GUIs for almost everything) are there any real reasons I would like it?

swoll1980
April 7th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Ahhh Gentoo. Good times, good times. I've been meaning to download and install it on my server again (I've been on /g/ waaay too much and all I ever see is "Install Gentoo"). It's most definitely not for the faint of heart though.

As for Mint: I just don't like it. For some reason, it just seems like they've taken all of the "Linux" out of Linux. It looks like it's trying way too hard to be Windows. I don't know though, I've never used it and never plan to. Mint lovers - why would someone like me want Mint? I can install codecs just fine and theming is no big deal. Other than those reasons (and their GUIs for almost everything) are there any real reasons I would like it?

You wouldn't like it, or need it. Mint takes the making Linux easy thing one step further. I think it's great, though I have no use for it. It really takes most of the guess work out of Linux, and if someone isn't familiar with Linux, but needs an OS to do there day to day computing it's a perfect solution for them.

SomeGuyDude
April 7th, 2009, 02:57 AM
LOL a Mint guy talking sh*t on Ubuntu. That's just adorable.

I second the above that Mint appears to have tried way too hard to make it "idiot proof" to the point that it's jam packed with all this nonsense so users never have to see the scaaaaaaaary command line. Plus, frankly, it never ran that well for me.

Twitch6000
April 7th, 2009, 03:07 AM
@twitch6000: Hey, any chance you could find out if it would be alright to use the Linux Mint themes to create a Ubuntu version? I used Mint a while back, loved the look. Don't want to make it from scratch though.

Would just install mint and strip out cruft (stuff I don't need) so it uses less resources, but I don't feel like downloading another set of packages that are Mint-specific when I've got the Ubuntu-versions that took me hours to download.

You could begin the "porting" (too strong a word) of the Mint features into Ubuntu. Calling everyone Ubuntu fanboys 1. Insults female Ubuntu users (just say fanatics :lolflag: ) and 2. Starts possible flames and trollish insults.

On-topic: That said, if the tools in Mint are easier to use than the ones in Ubuntu, I say they SHOULD be sent upstream. Ubuntu strives to be the easiest-to-use (and secure/stable) desktop distro, right? Then let the noob-friendly software swim upstream. If it's insecure or whatever, the grizzly bears (aka bugfixers -- they're awesome) will do a little "surgery" on them.

In the meantime, if you have the resources for it, try Mint.

If I am understanding that question correctly then yes it is just fine to do that.

Their themes are under the gpl. Just go to the link I gave you and look for the meta themes and gnome themes.You can also download the usplash theme if need be.

LOL a Mint guy talking sh*t on Ubuntu. That's just adorable.

I second the above that Mint appears to have tried way too hard to make it "idiot proof" to the point that it's jam packed with all this nonsense so users never have to see the scaaaaaaaary command line. Plus, frankly, it never ran that well for me.

If you are calling me the Mint fan you are incorrect :p.

I am a PClinuxOS fan <.<.

I find Linux Mint to be the best for new users,due to just what you said. NO CLI. No I myself I do not give a crap if I have to use the CLI or GUI.

I-75
April 7th, 2009, 03:10 AM
i say try them all. One good thing a linux is that you can install, and uninstall at will. I've tried like 20 distros. I always find my way back here though.

+1

dragos240
April 7th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Just a seggestion, don't mention /g/ /b/ or any other 4chan board, not good to mention it here :o