PDA

View Full Version : What Star Trek invention would you like the most?

CJ Master
April 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Topic speaks for itself... I'd personally love a transporter. :guitar:

gn2
April 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Seven of Nine.

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM
there is no "H" in LCARS

(And I don't think it's a secret what I voted for)

chucky chuckaluck
April 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM
transporter, though i'd prefer the nightcrawler approach to star trek's. the convenience would be astounding. i could visit my parents (i'm in nc, they're in mass.), i could save 20 minutes to and from work. go to the grocery store, go anywhere. i could zap up behind public speakers, pull their pants down and zap out before anyone caught me. stealing bases in baseball would be nothing. football? from backfield to end zone, no worries. (probably wouldn't work in basketball, although the rules against traveling seem be only a part of the game's history, these days.)

swoll1980
April 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
The visor of course. I couldn't make use of it, but it would change the lives of so many other people.

billgoldberg
April 6th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Transporter.

insane_alien
April 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Why didn't you mention the computers? imagine the folding@home performance :P

CJ Master
April 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
why didn't you mention the computers? Imagine the folding@home performance :p

lcars :p

super-sauce
April 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I voted holodeck. Then I'd program it with Seven of Nine's physical parameters and do things to her that I cannot speak of here...

:twisted:

DivineTemplar
April 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Transporter, followed by HoloDeck.

With the transporter I could actually travel anywhere on Earth, with the HoloDeck I am pretty much pretending to do the same thing.

insane_alien
April 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM
lcars :p

isn't that just the OS though? i don't care about the OS, we have linux.

S0VERE1GN
April 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
cloaking device...cmon now whats sweeter than that?

your wife gets mad at you...flick that baby on and she'll throw a fit wondering where you went....argument goes out the window

perfect futuregadget.

smartboyathome
April 6th, 2009, 09:23 PM
HoloDeck. With that, I could be anywhere in the world at any time, without actually being there. It would be much more useful than a transporter IMO. ;)

jimi_hendrix
April 6th, 2009, 09:42 PM
it was close between the holodeck and transporter

but holodeck one out because of all the fun i could have messing with stuff!

Mehall
April 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM
isn't that just the OS though? i don't care about the OS, we have linux.

It could be a window manager for Linux : D

Wobblybob
April 6th, 2009, 09:55 PM
and another vote for 7 of 9, "Resistance is futile", add her to the list.;)

Martin

blueshiftoverwatch
April 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I voted for the visor that Geordi La Forge from The Next Generation wears. It seemed like the thing on the list that would do the most good towards helping the most people. Sure holodecks might be a whole lot of fun and universal translators might make it easier to talk to people from other countries. But people who can't see are at a major disadvantage at being able to do a lot of things that we take for granted. So I'd put their being able to see as more important than me being able to dogfight the Red Baron in the holodeck or take a trip to a foreign country without needing to learn any of their native language by carrying a universal translator.

gtfourdreams
April 6th, 2009, 11:19 PM
holodeck for sure. there's plenty of philosophers out there i would like to meet.

ok, the truth is: there's lots of hot ladies (who are too old or too stiff for me now) that i would like to meet. and because they aren't real, i don't have to deal with the consequences later.

haha! :)

swoll1980
April 6th, 2009, 11:23 PM
What about the time machine from the next generation movie? That would be fun.

bakedbeans4life
April 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM
All of them!

dsnort33823
April 6th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Phasers, then I'd go visit the IRS! ("Hey, where did auditor Stevens go? There's just this pile of ash at his desk!)

7 of 9 was hot, personally thought T'Pal from enterprise was better.

sisco311
April 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM
i was wondering if Seven of Nine is compatible with Linux...
then i thought, it doesn't matter, i can write the drivers myself.

d'oh, i need a holodeck or a transporter or a time machine
a real life is not an option for /me

SunnyRabbiera
April 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Doomsday Machine!
:D

WatchingThePain
April 6th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Transporter fo sure (was gonna say definately but I don't think the spellings write).

Beam me to work scotty cos I can't stand travelling.
Friday night..Beam me to the Bahamas Scotty.

Oh Scotty..I'm in bed and need a pee..be a darling and beam me to the bathroom.

Didius Falco
April 7th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I picked the Holodeck, but that would actually be my second choice.

First pick would be a replicator...

MikeTheC
April 7th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Gimmie a good 'ole Klingon disruptor.

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/3/3282/changs_disruptor.jpeg

Don't leave home without it... :)

swoll1980
April 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM

You would think with all that technology the weapons would be more ergonomic.

chucky chuckaluck
April 7th, 2009, 12:57 AM

that looks like an S&M toy.

MikeTheC
April 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM
You would think with all that technology the weapons would be more ergonomic.

For Klingon hands, that is ergonomic.

Remember, Klingons are not into the soft, luxurious comforts. They feel (generally) that to give into such things makes one weak. (And I, for one, would not want to have an argument with a Klingon.)

Mehall
April 7th, 2009, 01:09 AM
For Klingon hands, that is ergonomic.

Remember, Klingons are not into the soft, luxurious comforts. They feel (generally) that to give into such things makes one weak. (And I, for one, would not want to have an argument with a Klingon.)

Val wIv , jup!

abn91c
April 7th, 2009, 01:14 AM
seven of nine.
+1 seven of nine or T'pol :-)

ninjapirate89
April 7th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I think the transporter would be most beneficial.

maradr
April 7th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Just like Riker said "Capt....if you need me, I'll be on the HoloDeck"

:biggrin:

GrouchoMarx
April 7th, 2009, 02:46 AM
What about the replicator? Talk about a versatile solution for modern living.

CJ Master
April 7th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Replicator is the last option (I accidentally did holodeck twice, sorry.)

I agree how much fun a holodeck would be... heck, who cares about Guitar Hero, why not rock out on a "real" stage!:guitar:

MikeTheC
April 7th, 2009, 03:43 AM
While I have no particular issue with a Transporter, and having a forcefield generator (and, therefore, a forcefield) are very handy, I want a weapon that just feels neat in my hands, and sadly, a lightsaber is not an available option on a Star Trek list. ;)

CJ Master
April 7th, 2009, 04:51 AM
While I have no particular issue with a Transporter, and having a forcefield generator (and, therefore, a forcefield) are very handy, I want a weapon that just feels neat in my hands, and sadly, a lightsaber is not an available option on a Star Trek list. ;)

Phaser ftw?

toupeiro
April 7th, 2009, 06:05 AM
replicator = world hunger solved. More resources free'd up to deliver holodeck.

CJ Master
April 7th, 2009, 10:29 PM
....NOBODY HAS CHOSEN THE FORCE FIELD OR TRICORDER?!?!?!?!!?

Forcefield: Attatch to millitary ships, extra protection for our troops, or we could make personal forcefields.

Tricorder: Do ANYTHING. I'm serious, I bet in one episode they made the Tricorder act as a Transporter. :S

lisati
April 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I was about to suggest "all of the above" until I saw this:

Seven of Nine.
):P (sssh don't tell the wife)

Pasdar
April 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Replicators can replicate anything, like all the other things you mentioned in your list, and not just food.

Mehall
April 7th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Replicators can replicate anything, like all the other things you mentioned in your list, and not just food.

Seven of Nine(s) ;)

CJ Master
April 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Ok, SEVEN OF NINE IS NOT A TECHNOLOGY!! -.-

Replicators can only program whats in their memory banks, and those aren't in there ;)

Mehall
April 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM

Replicators can only program whats in their memory banks, and those aren't in there ;)

It can make anything you put into it's memory banks. I'm pretty sure I can find 7 of 9's dimensions somewhere online ;)

MikeTheC
April 8th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Phaser ftw?

Refer to my prior post vis a vis weapon of choice. This has been settled. That's what I picked because a lightsaber was not available.

CJ Master
April 8th, 2009, 01:10 AM
It can make anything you put into it's memory banks. I'm pretty sure I can find 7 of 9's dimensions somewhere online ;)

Yes, but it can't replicate organic matter :P

CJ Master
April 9th, 2009, 05:34 AM
there is no "H" in LCARS

(And I don't think it's a secret what I voted for)

Oh sorry, didn't see that until now.

Yea, sorry. Why can't they make it a sensible, easy to spell name?! :mad:

quanumphaze
April 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Holodeck. For the pr0n ;)
any time, any where, any ... thing

khelben1979
April 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Replicator (Unlimited Food).

Good for the economy. :)

CJ Master
April 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Holodeck. For the pr0n ;)
any time, any where, any ... thing

I don't know you. :P

Replicator (Unlimited Food).

Good for the economy.

Indeed. A replicator could start a new era for Earth.

lisati
April 9th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Seven of Nine has implants. And most of us here are not blind.

As for the replicators, they will, no doubt, need some kind of raw materials to poduce their wares.

CJ Master
April 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Seven of Nine has implants. And most of us here are not blind.

As for the replicators, they will, no doubt, need some kind of raw materials to produce their wares.

Yes, but it could be practically anything. Salt water, perhaps?

lisati
April 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Yes, but it could be practically anything. Salt water, perhaps?

The implants or the replicators? Come to think of it, my comment on 7-of-9 does seem a little ambiguous.

justin whitaker
April 9th, 2009, 09:46 PM
No deflector dish? How are you going to solve the plot without a well placed tachyon burst from a deflector dish? :p

CJ Master
April 12th, 2009, 07:23 PM
The implants or the replicators? Come to think of it, my comment on 7-of-9 does seem a little ambiguous.

Nah.. I mean the replicators. We don't really use salt water much, so it'd be the perfect "fuel" for our replicators.

Course then scientists invent phasers, then we break off parts of rock from other planets and use that :P

CJ Master
April 17th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Bump. ;)

grotto
April 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
It is quite simple. All you need to do is link the replicator to the positronic memory banks of the transporter room via the ship's computer. Then reference the last record of transportation in which will contain an exact atom-for-atom facsimile of Seven of Nine. Then invert the tachyon beams and feed the output into the replicator.

Simply grab enough carbon-based organic matter (e.g. left over from last night's dinner), feed it into the machine and start making your legion of Seven of Nines. Then mock the fools with their mere photonic hologram dates in the holodeck.

xir_
April 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Seven of Nine.

ha

gnuvistawouldbecool
April 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Exactly, why need anything else. As long as you have the information stored to make it, and pretty much anything could be the raw material....

XubuRoxMySox
April 17th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I voted transporter for practical reasons, but what fun a holodeck would be!

I nearly took a dare once, to attend a civil war re-enactment in a Starfleet uniform. I would walk out onto the battlefield and say, "Computer, end program!"

Mehall
April 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM

I nearly took a dare once, to attend a civil war re-enactment in a Starfleet uniform. I would walk out onto the battlefield and say, "Computer, end program!"

Depending on how much of an event the re-enactment was, you would probably have a LOT of trekkies at the thing automatically freeze-frame for you xD

CJ Master
April 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Exactly, why need anything else. As long as you have the information stored to make it, and pretty much anything could be the raw material....

We're assuming that it doesn't have these other inventions in its databanks, and only makes food.

THAT is pwnage! I'm rofling over here! You gotta video tape you doing that and show it to us. :D

lisati
April 17th, 2009, 11:38 PM

I like that!

doas777
April 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I opted for replicators, because they enable everything else. a teleporter and a replicator are very similar devices in the end. they can construct objects on an atomic level, creating the ability to synthize new alloys and compounds with new and useful properties. it can make manufacturing uniform across almost all industries, and eliminates scarcity of resources. all things best about startrek and its hopeful view of the future of human society hinge on free clean energy and pattern replication.

best regards,
franklin

Mulenmar
April 18th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I choose universal translator. Improving communications between different-language-speaking groups would allow them to pool their talents and develop the other technologies more quickly. ;)

doas777
April 18th, 2009, 12:29 AM
i choose universal translator. Improving communications between different-language-speaking groups would allow them to pool their talents and develop the other technologies more quickly. ;)
+1

lisati
April 18th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I choose universal translator. Improving communications between different-language-speaking groups would allow them to pool their talents and develop the other technologies more quickly. ;)

It would be interesting to see how well the translator copes with different dialects of the same language.

Sporkman
April 18th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Transporter - then I could live anywhere I want, without needing to live where the jobs are.

CJ Master
April 18th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Transporter - then I could live anywhere I want, without needing to live where the jobs are.

You still need food you know ;)

alex.rayu
April 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM
What???? Where's the Warp Drive in the list??? We need a warp drive to travel to other planets for more resources!!! =)

alex.rayu
April 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM

I could never understand how could they be translated by atoms when transported, and somehow not be completely cured or made young with every transport. Should be a piece of cake.

wishyjr
April 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Any real geek should choose HoloDeck in my opinion..

..i'd pick LCARS instead being an OS ***** but you can't change the wallpaper can ya!? :)

etnlIcarus
April 18th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Holodeck - but not for the reason in the poll. <.<

benj1
April 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
replicator
hook it up to your computer, and make coffee from the command line, brings a whole new meaning to
make coffee

nice new computer?
replicate one

spupy
April 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Replicator - oh my, the endless possibilities! And it's not food that came first to my mind... :twisted:

The problem is that a replicator will quickly devalue almost everything, except living beings. So actually natural food will one of the most expensive things left.

HavocXphere
April 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Force field easily. There are soooo many potential applications...

e.g. It would probably make Magnetic confinement fusion feasible.

@benj1: It's sudo make coffee.

Also missing warp drive.

gnomeuser
April 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The replicator would enable us to end world hunger which is good, however I suspect it works by converting energy to food with a certain overhead. Probably from other materials, making the whole process a less efficient way of solving that at first sight.

The transporter would be cool, going anywhere in an instant. I could go see my fiancée anytime I wanted. Also bankrupting the travel agencies would give me a degree of pleasure (that's what you get for your crappy in flight "food").

Holodeck would be cool, but I fear this might lead to the elimination of mankind. Once someone gets the bright idea of turning this into a "any sexual fantasy you might have" kind of experience.. we would simply forget to eat and reproduce.

All in all I think I would like interstellar travel the most, the ability to leave this solar system would be very useful plus the enterprise looks like a comfy ride (just don't let anyone "pimp" it).

benj1
April 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Force field easily. There are soooo many potential applications...

e.g. It would probably make Magnetic confinement fusion feasible.

@benj1: It's sudo make coffee.

Also missing warp drive.

might be a good idea incase you accidentally type
make borg invasion fleet

CJ Master
April 19th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Ah, then you'd have to be the Borg queen. :P

Mehall
April 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Ah, then you'd have to be the Borg queen. :P

sudo dpkg -i borg-fleet.deb

missing depends:
You are not Borg-Queen

adduser Borg-Queen
su Borg-Queen

Bord-Queen is not in the sudoers file.
This incident has been reported.

benj1
April 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM

missing depends:
You are not Borg-Queen

adduser Borg-Queen
su Borg-Queen

Bord-Queen is not in the sudoers file.
This incident has been reported.

ok maybe replicators are a bad idea, imagine trying to sort out the dependencies :(

CJ Master
April 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
ok maybe replicators are a bad idea, imagine trying to sort out the dependencies :(

"Computer. Tea, Earl Grey, hot."

"Captain Picard is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported."

...My trophy! =D