PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Needing tips for updating ...

Dragon6
April 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hi
I'm actually new to ubuntu , I have 8.10 installed on my computer and I need to update my firefox to the latest version
so this is the question : is there anyway to update my firefox browser WITHOUT downloading and installing the latest version ,
in face if there's anyway to update any software without downloading the latest version of that software ?
Thanks

Cybie257
April 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM
It kind of sounds like you are saying, "Is there a way I can get a brand new car without buying a new car"..

But, I will start with this. What version of Firefox is installed on your computer? I'm thinking it should be 3.x.x as I think 8.10 had that as default, whereas 8.04 was 2.x.x..

If it's 3.x.x, it should update via System updates. If your computer is not setup to automatically download/notify of updates, you can invoke the update program by going to:

System -> Administration -> Update Manager

This will download and (automatically) install any updates to software on your computer, including FireFox.

Hope this helps for a start. Welcome to Ubuntu!! :)

-Cybie

Dragon6
April 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for responding ...
its version is 3.0.3 and the latest one is 3.0.8
so if i use the update manager , it will install the latest version or it will download the packages required for installing the latest version ?
thanks ..

Cybie257
April 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
It will download AND install after you hit the Install Updates button on the update manager. You will see a list of all the available updates.

When you load update manager, click the Check button to get the latest list of the updates and then select install updates. You'll see when you open it, it's really easy. :)

-Cybie257

Dragon6
April 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
thank you friends , that was just easy ...