PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution setup

engine1
April 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I am having great difficulty setting up evolution (e-mail) within Ubuntu 8.10. I am with talktalk and the initial setup configured with my router and allows internet access no problem, however Evolution wants server name which I thought would be mail.talktalk.net, username which I have, but won't allow me to submit password. Please help, this is the only thing stopping me dumping windows.

kestrel1
April 6th, 2009, 04:16 PM
mail.talktalk.net is correct
smtp.talktalk.net for out going mail.
Once you have setup Evolution you will be asked for the password & you should be good to go.
It is not until everything is entered & Evolution tries to connect to the server that it asks for the password.

engine1
April 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for info but tried the POP and SMTP insertion, still no joy. Username is phone #@talktalk.net is this stopping me, I am using Netgear router.

kestrel1
April 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
This is not your email address with tallktalk. That is only the username for your account login to the server, but not email.
You need to setup an email account seperatly. I just went on to the talktalk website & set one up & it is associated with my account.
Cant remember exactly what I did now, but I had to give them an alternative email during setup, that is used to send billing info etc. but this is not a talktalk email

engine1
April 6th, 2009, 05:00 PM
So sorry to be such a pain but tried using both of my talktalk email addresses, this is bugging me something awful now. So what I have is Server:mail.talketc. Username: Phone#@talketc.It is set to use secure connection with no encryption

kestrel1
April 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM
If you are using phone#@talktalk.net, say for instance 011111111@talktalk.net
that is just the username for your account & not a proper email address. So you will not get that to work as the email account will not be on the talktalk email server. You should have something like myname@talktalk.net as an email account & if it was anything like my setup I had to create the email account seperatly once I had my details with talktalk.

engine1
April 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Hi Kestral1, here we go again.this is what I have.In the account editor. Identity tab - Email addy - ??@talktalk.net ,under receive email tab, server type - POP ,Configuration - mail.talktalk.net - Username phone#@talktalk.net .It is all set for no encrypt and password, which it calls for, and I supply. Send email tab, server type SMTP Server smtp.talktalk.net , Username phone#@talktalk.net As you may gather still NO joy

kestrel1
April 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM
under the POP & SMTP user name this should be the same as the email address & not 'your phone number'@talktalk.net

engine1
April 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all your help I now have it sorted. It did as you mentioned need activating by the use of a new email addy to talktalk. Once again thanks, windows can now literally go out the window.

kestrel1
April 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Great stuff. I think TalkTalk need to make things a little clearer, as I cannot remember actually seeing anything about creating an email account in the literature.
Anyway, glad you got it sorted.