PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keep Compiz from drawing drop Shadow of Panel on top of maximized Windows?

Andreas1
April 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM
What i mean: the drop shadow applied by compiz to the top panel is drawn on top of the window decorations of maximized windows. this creates the impression that windows are one level behind the panel, even when active.

for once i would like to hear your opinions on that. i personally would go as far as to say it is a bug, there is no reason why an active window should look as if it were behind the panel. am i the only one perceiving it that way? i mean, if that shadow were really big (like on macintosh), it would even cover the menu bar and adress bar of a browser and so on.

secondly i would like to know if it's possible to change that behavior. note: i am not asking how to remove the shadow of the panel (i know you can do that), i want to keep the shadow from being drawn above windows. any ideas?

Andreas1
April 11th, 2009, 10:42 AM
bump

Andreas1
April 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
one more

bump

Therion
April 17th, 2009, 05:00 PM
All I can suggest would be posing this question over on the Compiz forums. The people there might have a better insight in how to do something like that.

http://forum.compiz.org/

Andreas1
April 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM
All I can suggest would be posing this question over on the Compiz forums. The people there might have a better insight in how to do something like that.

http://forum.compiz.org/

thanks, i will do that. but, well, apart from fixing it for me, i was curious about opinions from other ubuntu users, to assert if my interpretation is somehow faulty. usually people always have a lot to say when it comes to compiz effects ;)

Therion
April 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
thanks, i will do that. but, well, apart from fixing it for me, i was curious about opinions from other ubuntu users, to assert if my interpretation is somehow faulty. usually people always have a lot to say when it comes to compiz effects ;)
Well at the moment I'm stuck behind a WinXP machine as I slave for The Man.

Pop up a screenshot of what it is that's got you bugged and I'll be happy to spew forth an opinion though.

In all honesty it sounds like a bit of a nit you're picking but I'm willing to reconsider.

Andreas1
April 17th, 2009, 05:55 PM
screenshot:

EDIT:
left: supposed to be
right: is

zoldiel
April 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Since the panels are always on top they will always cast their shadows on any windows, including maximized windows, I agree that this doesn't look right with a heavy shadow.

I am not sure if there is a way to do this, but if you can allow windows over, or on top of the panels, then that would prevent them being covered by the panel's shadow, though you would then have a the window shadow on the panels, would that really be any better?

Elegia
April 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I was wondering about the exact same thing yesterday. Personally, I also see it as a bug. I think it looks terrible too.

As for how to solve it, no idea. I made my panel transparent though, which somehow makes it look less annoying.