PDA

View Full Version : [C++] Need to make code more efficient

dwhitney67
April 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I have the following, which works properly, however I wonder if it can be made more efficient, perhaps by dispensing with the vector. Any thoughts:

typedef std::basic_string<unsigned char> RawData;
typedef std::vector<RawData> RawDataVec;

RawDataVec rdvec;

if (m_queue.pop(rdvec, m_numReportsToSend))
{
RawData rd;

for (RawDataVec::const_iterator cit = rdvec.begin(); cit != rdvec.end(); ++cit)
{
rd += *cit;
}

m_sockOut.send(rd.data(), rd.size(), m_reportingAddr, m_reportingPort);
}

The queue is actually a circular queue. Here's a partial listing:

template <typename T, size_t SIZE = 1024>
class CircularQueue
{
public:

bool pop(std::vector<T>& elems, size_t numElemsToPop = 1)
{
pthread_mutex_lock(&m_mutex);

while (m_elems > 0 && numElemsToPop--)
{
elems.push_back( m_buffer[ m_front ] );

m_front = ++m_front % m_qsize;

--m_elems;
}

pthread_mutex_unlock(&m_mutex);

return !elems.empty();
}
};

Originally I implemented pop() to use the operator+=() of the object T in lieu of bothering with a vector. However not every object T has operator+=() defined. It looked like:

template <typename T, size_t SIZE = 1024>
class CircularQueue
{
public:

bool pop(T& elem, size_t numElemsToPop = 1)
{
pthread_mutex_lock(&m_mutex);

while (m_elems > 0 && numElemsToPop--)
{
elem += m_buffer[ m_front ]; // operation not supported for all T, thus CircularQueue not truly generic

m_front = ++m_front % m_qsize;

--m_elems;
}

pthread_mutex_unlock(&m_mutex);

return !elem.empty();
}
};

When writing one-of-a-kind code, is it better to sacrifice code re-usability for the sake of efficiency?

Yacoby
April 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
When writing one-of-a-kind code, is it better to sacrifice code re-usability for the sake of efficiency?
Have you considered using Template Meta Programming and iterator_traits to check if the type T supports random access and throwing a compile time error if it doesn't? It would allow you to use more types at least.
I am fairly sure Effective C++ 3rd Edition had something on this.

Anyway, if you are worried in any way about the performance of a piece of code, imho you should run it through a profiler.

dwhitney67
April 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Have you considered using Template Meta Programming and iterator_traits to check if the type T supports random access and throwing a compile time error if it doesn't? It would allow you to use more types at least.

I am fairly sure Effective C++ 3rd Edition had something on this.

I did not need to do anything special to get a compiler error if the type T, were say, of type Foo. If Foo does not implement operator+=(), then the compiler will complain.

P.S. I do not have the Effective C++ book; maybe come B-day or Xmas I will add it to my list.