PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Machine, transfer settings

Kunin
April 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I'm doing a complete system upgrade, and will be transferring from 32b to 64b in the process. So my question is, what all can I transfer over to the new system and what will I have to manually reset?

I know, from previous upgrades, that I should be able to just take my /home (already a separate drive) and then just reinstall any apps I need. This time I will be going from 32b to 64b (also gutsy to jaunty), so I'm not sure if that same process will work. I was also thinking about giving KDE a try, how would that change things?

Thanks.

Mark Phelps
April 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I don't believe you can "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit -- if that's what your asking.

However, if you save off your /home directory and everything beneath, after installing 64-bit, you may be able to copy select files and settings back.

Kunin
April 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I don't believe you can "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit -- if that's what your asking.

However, if you save off your /home directory and everything beneath, after installing 64-bit, you may be able to copy select files and settings back.

I'm building a whole new system to replace my current main, a complete upgrade (machine).

Last time I did that (both old and new were 32b) it was as simple as moving my /home drive over and reinstalling apps. Since this time I'll be installing a 64b OS I wasn't sure if this time it would be that simple.

The main program settings I want to move over are:

Wine
Firefox
Global Keybindings
Evolution
Pidgin
... I think those are the main ones (use the same system for years and you forget all the customizations you've made).

Mark Phelps
April 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM
As far as I know, you'll have to install all the packages from scratch because the 64-bit versions may be different from the 32-bit versions.

What I was talking about was copying back settings and configurations files from the /home filesystem that you had saved. I believe that will work.

Kunin
April 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
That's what I was expecting, I just wanted to ask around and be sure instead of being suprised later. Thanks.