PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Editing menus

hackapelite
April 6th, 2009, 09:55 AM
...I'm after something far more "advanced" than alacarte. Something that allows me to customize the Main GNOME menu as much as GNOME allows. If there is no such tools, does anyone know a guide to customizing the menus by directly modifying the configuration file? And are there any good (third-party) tools/utilities that would allow me to make a customized Vista/KDE/Mint-esque fancy-pancy menu?

kpkeerthi
April 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Like this (http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-ubuntu-system-panel-on-ubuntu-8.10)?

http://images.howtoforge.com/images/ubuntu_system_panel/9.jpg

hackapelite
April 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Like that for example ;)

Tinkering around with it right now, but more suggestions are welcome. Also, is there any guide/documentation to what all the settings in gconf-editor mean?

oldos2er
April 7th, 2009, 02:23 AM
http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/

andrea000
April 7th, 2009, 05:42 AM
...I'm after something far more "advanced" than alacarte. Something that allows me to customize the Main GNOME menu as much as GNOME allows. If there is no such tools, does anyone know a guide to customizing the menus by directly modifying the configuration file? And are there any good (third-party) tools/utilities that would allow me to make a customized Vista/KDE/Mint-esque fancy-pancy menu?
are you trying to add a new menu to gnome or
something like that?I would also would like
to know how to do this.I'm not trying to
make a new or modified menu but just would
like to add a new menu to gnome thats all.

mcduck
April 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Alacarte does offer all the customizations that are possible with the "Menu Bar"-applet. If you want a different style menu you need to use some other applet as your menu.

There are several different menu applets available in repositories, and couple more you can download from the web. The USP (already mentioned) is nice, and if you want more Vista-like menu then go for GnoMenu.

What comes to settings in gconf, they usually have their own explanations included and viewable directly in gconf. If you need more detailed instructions you need to check from the program maker's web site, or manual (not gconf manuals, the program which settings you are trying to change ;)).

mcduck
April 7th, 2009, 07:35 AM
are you trying to add a new menu to gnome or
something like that?I would also would like
to know how to do this.I'm not trying to
make a new or modified menu but just would
like to add a new menu to gnome thats all.

At this point the Menu Bar-applet doesn't support adding any custom menus. The ones that are there are hard-coded in the applet's source code, and as far as I know there isn't any plans on changing this.

I do agree that it would be nice to have some applet that could be used to create extra menus.

andrea000
April 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Thank you mcduck i was trying to find a way
to add a finder like apple os has but
google desktop will do.I could theme it with
mac4lin but i do not want to lose the ubuntu
icons and have them replaced with a apple one
google desktop will do.

Thank you

hackapelite
April 7th, 2009, 11:29 AM
if you want more Vista-like menu then go for GnoMenu.How would I go about installing it? I can't seem to find it in the repos...

mcduck
April 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM
How would I go about installing it? I can't seem to find it in the repos...

I remember seeing the packages in gnome-look.org. (I'm not using it myself, I think Gnome's own Menu Bar is pretty close to being the best menu any OS I've ever used has had.)

Linux_Shishya
April 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM
You might want to have a look at this : http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/myGtkMenu