PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu and os x

leveliv
April 6th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I am a big visual person and buy from how something looks let alone runs. I have had many cars the same way as what I've just described.

now I'm not looking to copy OS X more or less ...give myself the same functionalities Im going to list what I like in OS X and hopefully people can give me a linux alternative.

I really love the Spotlight search, and have heard Gnome DO does the same thing..is that true? Will it search the whole computer or just my Documents and unhidden files?

Im not much for the dock, but I would like to get rid of the bottom application bar, Maybe if there was simple bar that wasn't flashy and attention grabbing like the OS X dock, that could be moved around and positioned. I've used AWN and it seems to me that I can't position it the way I want. I have also used Rocketdock here on Windows but ..it was a resource hog and was also too flashy. so to sum it up I just want a bar that will show what I have open instead of the bar that is stock with Gnome

another thing, I love widgets. I use the windows sidebar, and I like the Dashboard OS X has. Can I do this in ubuntu, with things like Google Gadgets of Konfubalator or whatever. I really like my ICHC widget :P Keeps me up to date on my cats. Also I have weather and what not I keep up on. I would really like if I could have it all in one place or ..screen like OS X

I really like System sounds too but I see Ubuntu has already taken care of that in 9.04 thanks

Growl, on the other hand. with 9.04 I see they've added "Notifications" does this work with everything like Firefox and Pidgin and the music player of my choice? If not can I get plugins or is the notifications too new?

Thank you everybody for your help, I hope after typing all of this that I put it in the right place, it started out as a Desktop Enviroment question but now I think it might just be General help.

ps. I also don't want to go away from Gnome, I love the way gnome feels and works, so please don't say goto KDE haha I hate the KDE Desktop window...and it seems to windowsish to me.

Once I get all the programs I am looking for I plan on throwing this on my blog and giving everyone credit where it is due.

Thank you again.

I almost forgot about my phone. Its a windows mobile phone, Blackjack 2 to be exact, My computer doesn't have bluetooth at all, so I am stuck using USB. Will it play nice or will it be a pain, (I am hoping to get ubuntu MID on it soon,damn maybe even Android.) So what I saying is, to transfer things I have to use Activesync.

phaze_1
April 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
if you want the look and feel there's already a thread on this subject http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4177899 // and in this thread look for File Type: gz Pengs_Mac4Lin_GDM_v0.9.tar.gz (593.7 KB, 78 views) //install it and i hope you'll be happy with the out come .. as for the bottom panel bar if you want to take out I would recommend Cairo Dock it's awesome

leveliv
April 7th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Thank you, I am actually use Docky right now, with Gnome-Do..it works just as well as as the OS X dock for me. the only big thing right is the Sidebar with Widgets and Gadgets, that's the only thing I can't find.

Can you import Google or Windows Live widgets into Gdesklets? I think I may have tried before but it wasn't really that great, most functions of the widgets weren't available.

You would think Yahoo or Google would port their products to Linux by now, seeing as its growing so fast.

The only big thing I am looking for is my phone I seem to have covered everything else. . . This is mostly up for people to use as a reference I guess. It can be closed by a mod now I am going to post this to my blog and explain what I used to accomplish it.

Although there are sooo many blog posts out there about Ubuntu alternatives, I'll just add to the many.

Thanks for the help phaze_1

andrea000
April 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Google gadgets or the screenlets and there is one more but
i can't remember what the name of it is.Screenlets are in
synaptic that is what i use from time to time.You talked
about Spotlight search there is something like that in
ubuntu to. The applet is called deskbar but i have not been
able to get it to work.

goodluck

leveliv
April 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM
The Spotlight Search i use is called Gnome-Do.

just wish I could use the Dock and a system tray icon as well, as for gadgets..I haven't really came across anything for that.

andrea000
April 10th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I found one like spotlight search for ubuntu
i am going to install this one i myself do not
care for apple but they do have some very nice
features on them its called deskbar applet and
you can check it out Here (http://projects.gnome.org/deskbar-applet/)

Gnome deskbar

http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/WindowsLiveWriter/SearchYourComputerQuicklyWiththeDeskbarA_55F6/quicksearch.png

goodluck