PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] User switcher for Awesome window manager?

junglist313
April 6th, 2009, 04:19 AM
On my main desktop I have two users, my wife and I. I use Awesome as my window manager and my wife uses Gnome. Back when we both ran Gnome switching users while leaving the other logged in was not a issue thanks to the user switcher panel applet. Is there a way for my wife to log into her gnome session while leaving my Awesome session active? I run a lot of applications and hate coming back to my computer only to find out she has Ctrl+Alt+Backspace me out so she can check her email. Thanks!

Dark_Stang
April 6th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I don't think you can run two window managers at a time like that but... I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anybody has any suggestions because it makes me curious.

GoingDown
April 16th, 2009, 05:22 AM
On my main desktop I have two users, my wife and I. I use Awesome as my window manager and my wife uses Gnome. Back when we both ran Gnome switching users while leaving the other logged in was not a issue thanks to the user switcher panel applet. Is there a way for my wife to log into her gnome session while leaving my Awesome session active? I run a lot of applications and hate coming back to my computer only to find out she has Ctrl+Alt+Backspace me out so she can check her email. Thanks!

If you are using gdm and gnome-screensaver, this works. Just log your workstation with screensaver password, and in password prompt there is "Switch user" button.

Works with awesome window manager, I am using it.

Also, you probably can use gnome-panel with awesome, but last time I tried it was a little bit clunky

EDIT. By the way, there is another way to do this. Just run command "gdmflexiserver" from your awesome session. This starts 2nd X session with gdm login window

junglist313
June 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
gdmflexiserver worked like a charm. Thanks a million!

valadil
October 31st, 2009, 12:04 AM
I had a similar problem and came up with the attached script. The advantage of it is that it only asks for a pw if its a new login. Otherwise it's the same as ctrl-alt-f8. "gdmSwitch.sh WIFES_USERNAME" will switch to her.

The downside is that I don't have it working in karmic. No idea why, but gdmflexiserver options are somewhat less plentiful in this version.