PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] very easy question...

joe m.
April 6th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I am sorry for this stupid question. but i would appreciate some basic help.

I am trying to install xubuntu on an old windows 98 computer of mine. I have downloaded the .iso file onto my mac (because i want to burn it to a cd, and download it to my 98 computer). But after I downloaded the .iso file, it vanishes. How do i find it (and I know the folder it is going into, it simply is not there when the download completes, i think because the mac doesn't recognize the .iso format)? I know this probably only requires a very basic change in my settings, but can someone help me.

Oh, and I have an instillation disk for ubuntu, and when i tried to install it, it goes through the part with the progress bar and then the screen sits black. so i figure ubuntu is too memory intensive for my ****** old computer.

again, sorry for the stupid question.

thanks,
joe

dominiquec
April 6th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Hi, Joe,

Can't answer the Mac question, but for the one involving your old computer, you'll want to refer to this document -> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

|Porsche
April 6th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I am not familiar with macs. However, some things come to mind. Is the computer setup to hide .iso files? Do you know how to show all files on a mac? You can always hop on a terminal and do the equivalent of ls -al...They do have a command prompt right?