PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10?

dbsoundman
April 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I realize that 7.04 has long since expired, but I installed it on a machine recently because I didn't have the new version on a disc and I couldn't download it (my internet is crappy). I'm now wondering if there's a way to get it to upgrade to 8.10, by stepping through the releases since then (7.10, 8.04, then 8.10). I just wondered if there was some old repository I could enable to allow me to do this, rather than reinstalling. It's a sort of complicated system (multi OS) and while I do have the GRUB on a floppy disc, I was just hoping to save myself some time by not having to reinstall the whole thing.

Thanks,
Dan

lisati
April 6th, 2009, 12:21 AM
The "easy" way would be to use the update manager to step you through it. (Down side: a good internet connection is useful)

Another way is to backup your data and settings, replace your existing version with a fresh install of the latest version (you can order a free CD), and restore your data and settings (Down side: you might have to reinstall some applications and/or drivers)

Other forum users might have suggestions as well.

Partyboi2
April 6th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hi, in my opinion you may find trying to upgrade from a eol version could become time consuming. If you are able to a clean install would probably be easier. You could check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades
if you still want to go for an upgrade.