PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 - Sound just stopped working - How to fix it?

swarup
April 5th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 8.10 in my Dell E520 desktop. The sound was working perfectly fine. Today I installed a transcription program from NCH called "Express Scribe". They have a linux version of the program. I was using the program to listen to an mp3 sound file, and was adjusting the playback speed. In the process of doing so, all of a sudden the sound became like a feedback sound. And since then, even after reboot there is no sound at all in any of Ubuntu's sound software (Movie Player, Rhythmbox, etc). How can I get my sound back?

UbuntuNerd
April 17th, 2009, 04:23 AM
try the Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide from the forum:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

fro1269
April 17th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 8.10 in my Dell E520 desktop. The sound was working perfectly fine. Today I installed a transcription program from NCH called "Express Scribe". They have a linux version of the program. I was using the program to listen to an mp3 sound file, and was adjusting the playback speed. In the process of doing so, all of a sudden the sound became like a feedback sound. And since then, even after reboot there is no sound at all in any of Ubuntu's sound software (Movie Player, Rhythmbox, etc). How can I get my sound back?

try

sudo killall pulseaudio

sudo alsa force-reload

and then go to System>Preferences>Sound and change everything to ALSA

Crusty Juggler
April 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Same thing happened to me on a Toshiba Satellite A300. One day, sound is fine, next day, all I get is crackling when sounds should be playing. Switching to OSS allowed for test beeps to be heard, but under alsamixer, the only option available was "main," so I couldn't use headphones or anything.

If you're planning on upgrading to Jaunty anyway, do what I did and dl the release candidate now and install it. Your sound will be fixed, a lot of other niggling issues I had (i.e. bluetooth) were fixed and you get to avoid the crush of people downloading on the release day.