PDA

View Full Version : Salvage laptop lcd

billgoldberg
April 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM
So I have a laptop that is basically dead, but I can't get it over my heart to throw away the 17 inch screen.

How easy would it be to use the screen as a desktop monitor?

nowin4me
April 6th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm in the same position as you and trying to find a way to turn the laptop screen into a desktop monitor... If I find a way I will let you know.

I think it's going to be difficult... The monitor is connected to a special type of laptop wire which connects to the mother board... So basically you are going to have to take that connection off the laptop and connect it to your desktop somehow...

Please state I am guessing.

miegiel
April 6th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I have no idea, but there's a laptop repair shop in town (here anyway :D). The kind of shop that repairs laptops out of warranty. I'd go there to pick their minds on the matter.

It wouldn't surprise me if the signaling is the same as VGA or DVI and it's just a different connector. Maybe it's not to hard to make an adaptor. You'll also need to power the panel though.

billgoldberg
April 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
After doing some more research, I found out that it's pretty much impossible to do what I'm asking for (it is possible but totally over my head).

There is another optioning including a software approach, but that doesn't seem as interesting to me.

Oh well, if anyone is interested in an old pavilion dv4xxxea let me know. If you pay for shipping you can have it.

It overheats, but most parts are pretty new (used only a few weeks).

pm me if you are intested

nowin4me
April 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I found something. If you can understand this (http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/98801)could you post some instructions in easy steps please?

If so can you PM me when you have,

Thanks!

mips
April 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
could you post some instructions in easy steps please?

That's the problem, it's NOT easy and things will differ between panels & controllers.

To do this is not impossible but it sure is a helluva lot easier and cheaper to just go and buy a LCD display.