PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing gspca(v1) driver

OllieGab
April 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Tried to install the gspcav1 driver via the command line but got some error messages. Found a little install program using the synaptic package manager, called easygscpa, which started to install but seemed to freeze in the middle of it and I don't think the driver was ever installed.

Anyone know exactly how to install this driver?

Ollie

spiderbatdad
April 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
http://www.actionshrimp.com/2008/08/logitech-quickcam-e2500-on-ubuntu-skype/
I dont think the one in the repos works, unless it has been fixed.

OllieGab
April 5th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I get about half way through and then get this output:

ola@ola-desktop:~/cam/gspcav1-20071224$ sudo rmmod gspca
ERROR: Module gspca does not exist in /proc/modules
ola@ola-desktop:~/cam/gspcav1-20071224$ sudo modprobe -v gspca
F

so something has obviously gone wrong!

spiderbatdad
April 5th, 2009, 11:16 PM
you probably dont have the module loaded yet.
lsmodwill show you loaded modules. You'll most likely see uncvideo. That guide is a little difficult. You do have to patch the driver before trying to install it. What exactly are you trying to do, and why do you want the gspca driver?

OllieGab
April 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I'm trying to get a LifeCam VX3000 web camera (Microsoft unfortunately) to work and I found a list on the net telling me that I need this driver for that particular camera.

spiderbatdad
April 5th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I did use this guide several months ago and got it working with some effort. I used comments suggeted by sweeper November 14th, 2008 at 1:19 pm...just scroll down.
I eventually unloaded this driver and found a way to make my cam work with skype...if that is your goal:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1026188

OllieGab
April 5th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I have only done half of it but it did bring up a picture when testing via options i Skype. That's the first time I've actually had a picture at all with this camera - albeit the picture quality being less acceptable. But I'm sure I'm on the right track!

Cheers for that!

Ollie

spiderbatdad
April 5th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I assume you mean running skype with LD_PRELOAD. Glad you had some success. Make sure you have the uvcvideo driver listed under lsmod. Or load it and reboot. If you still want to install the gspca driver on actionshrimp, scroll dwon to sweepers comments for help. Best of luck. Or upgrade to Jaunty Jackalope and you may find the drivers are better than ever.