PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual boot linux and xp- xp does not see unpartitioned space

brookiew
April 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I have the latest ubuntu installed on my computer, and wanted to add xp for a dual boot configuration. I followed the instructions provided by
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm?page=4

I made space for xp, by doing what they recommended which was using the ubuntu live cd "try ubuntu without any change to computer" and changed partition space and hit apply.

When I put the xp disc in and run setup, it only recognizes the partitioned space, not the unpartitioned space. It seems I have followed the directions exactly and am not sure what to try next. Any help would be appreciated.

Didius Falco
April 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Personally, I'd reboot with the Ubuntu Live CD and make a Primary partition in that free space. Then I'd format it to NTFS and retry the XP install.

I haven't done this myself, but it seems like the next logical step to me.

ronparent
April 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Where is that unpartitioned space, could it be an extended partition? If not, how many primary partitions are already on the drive? XP will not install on an extended partitions or if there are already too many primary partitions (two I think).

x22
April 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM
for painless multiple-boot rule #1: install windows first