PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with flash

grimm08
April 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I have not been able to play flash videos since installation. I get a big Play sign in the space were the video is supposed to play and sometimes the video loads other time not. Most of the time video make firefox lock up. I know flash is loaded on my Ubuntu 8.10 system, and I know this is not a problem with hardware or the site because the video loads find in XP on the same computer if anyone has any ideas please let me know because this is driving me nuts, thanks.

taurus
April 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Which version of flash plugin did you install? Heard there are some minor problems with version 9 so you might want to upgrade to version 10.

Moop
April 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Make sure that you don't have multiple versions of a flash player installed. You can search Synaptic for flash and see what's installed.

Are you using 32bit or 64bit Ubuntu?

andrea000
April 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I had the same problem and tackled it for two days then i installed the tar ball and finely fixed it.It was the only way i had found to get it up and running but it still gives me the arrow but i click on it and it plays.Flash was made for windows the autorun and all of that.Linux deals with stuff like it should and not like windows.

grimm08
April 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM
This is a 32 bit version of Ubuntu, I have heard about the Synaptic manager. Not sure how to find or use it, also what do you mean by the tar ball (still learning)? Is that the .tar.gz version?

James Willis
April 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
If you are running gnome, look under System, Administration to find the Synaptic Package Manager.

grimm08
April 6th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I'll try that thanks.

andrea000
April 6th, 2009, 07:50 PM
This is a 32 bit version of Ubuntu, I have heard about the Synaptic manager. Not sure how to find or use it, also what do you mean by the tar ball (still learning)? Is that the .tar.gz version?

Yes tarball.gz tarball is just the linux format the .deb
is Debian installion package ubuntu uses .deb .gz or
tarballs to install software.

grimm08
April 7th, 2009, 02:06 AM
The package manager did reveal two different versions of flash after removing and reinstalling flash I am still geting the same problem. Using htop I found that firefox is maxing out the CPU, only when I play flash media. Ads load with no problem this is looking more like a plugin problem then an version problem.

grimm08
April 7th, 2009, 03:35 AM
After some troubleshooting I found the flash plugin in firefox was causing firefox to max out the CPU. For now I have installed Opera and flash media loads fine