PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] limited connection to internet

Patggf
April 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I have a Dell desktop 2400 with a direct wire dhcp ethernet connection to a sky router.
I'm running Ubuntu 8.04. When I start the computer sometimes I have no connection to the internet at other times it will work fine. I've tried reading the Absolute Beginners forumn and tried the following. I hope it helps.

/* first session */
-------------------------------------------------------------------
pat@pat-desktop:~$ sudo ifconfig eth0 down
[sudo] password for pat:
pat@pat-desktop:~$ sudo ifconfig eth0 up
pat@pat-desktop:~$ ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com
pat@pat-desktop:~$ ping 4.2.2.1
connect: Network is unreachable
pat@pat-desktop:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0f:1f:54:27:5e
inet6 addr: fe80::20f:1fff:fe54:275e/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:29 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:4290 (4.1 KB) TX bytes:984 (984.0 B)
Interrupt:20

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:982 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:982 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:49100 (47.9 KB) TX bytes:49100 (47.9 KB)
pat@pat-desktop:~$
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I tried restarting the computer and had no connection either to the web with Firefox or with Synaptic Package manager. Then I tried sudo dhclient and was able to connect with Firefox and Synaptic. On restarting the computer again I had no connection. Again typing sudo dhclient and I was able to connect with Firefox and Synaptic.

Any clues about what is happening here. If you need more information please ask.

ronocdh
April 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Try posting in the Networking forum; more knowledgeable (and faster!) responses might be found there. Great job on providing info!

Sounds to me like you might want to take a look at your /etc/network/interfaces and make sure that you have dhcp values set correctly for eth0.

Patggf
April 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks ronocdh.I'll post in the Networking forumn.As for your other advice could you explain in more detail. I'm very new to linux.

joeashcraft
April 8th, 2009, 12:55 AM
from cyberciti.biz (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/setting-up-an-network-interfaces-file/):

/etc/network/interfaces file contains network interface configuration information for the both Ubuntu and Debian Linux. This is where you configure how your system is connected to the network.
You can modify this file to make sure eth0 is active upon boot, and automatically looks for a DHCP server for an IP. Check the link for more detailed info.

If you're still having trouble, the contents of /etc/network/interfaces would help us help you.

Patggf
April 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM
As requested:
-------------------------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

auto eth0
------------------------------------
I followed your link and got the gist of the info. but I am not clear about a lot of networking terms and background. However, I have a hunch that 'auto etho0' should come before 'iface eth0 inet dhcp.'I'll try this and see if it works. If I do not reply again to you you will know that this worked. Thanks for the help.

Patggf
April 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM
The problem is solved now. Sorry about saying I would not reply back. I was not thinking. It was a bit rude.

Anyway, have you any ideas as to why the file was like that. Was it corrupted in some way? When I first updated to 8.04 internet worked fine. I messed around with clamav but was not really sure what I was doing. Apart from that all I did was go on the net. Thanks for your help.

Patggf
April 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I thought this problem was solved because I restarted the computer three times and was able to get on the net, but I started the computer today and was unable to connect. In the past the problem has shown up most of the time: about seven times out of ten starts. I thought there was a regularity there. Anyway, below is the contents of my /etc/network/interface file as far as I can see it is already set for dhcp. Are there any other settings I should add? By the way after editing the interface file as described in a previous post I checked the file to see it was as it was when I edited it in case it had become corrupted again, but the contents are as below. I'm just going on hunches really as linux is very new to me.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

JoshuaRL
April 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM
On my server it has the same interfaces file, but only the first two entries. I really don't think that "auth lo" being first is your problem. Have you checked this on another OS? Are you sure it isn't your router thats having the problems?

Patggf
April 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
It works fine with xp. I'm not sure what auth lo is is that a typo, you mean auto eth0. I reset the router and anyway it works with xp. Thanks for the reply.

joeashcraft
April 10th, 2009, 05:18 AM
The interface 'lo' is for the local loopback. It's important, and is set correctly in your interfaces file.

When you restart and can't get online, do you have an IP address? If you have an IP and can't get online, it could be the routing tables. If you don't have an IP address then that's a different problem.

To see if you have an IP address you can right click the network-manager applet and choose Connection Information.

To display the routing table use the command
$ route -n Do this when you can't access the internet, then if you can restart/fiddle enough to get a connection, please post the output again.
The routing tables should look something like:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1

Patggf
April 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hello joe. Network manager applet? Under System--> Admin I've got two networking tools. The first Network Settings shows only automatic configuration for dhcp the IP field is blank and the second Devices Network Tools shows an IP address of 192.168.0.2. And I'm online at the moment.

I'll now recreate the problem and see if this is still the case...

I can't get online now and Devices Network tools is no longer showing an IP address.In the field for IP address it is showing a long hexadecimal number.

I'll fiddle ( enter sudo dhclient ) which has always enabled me to get an IP address. And then I'll check Devices Network tools again to see if I get the IP address...

DHCPACK of 192.168.0.2 from 192.168.0.1
bound to 192.168.0.2 -- renewal in 41252 seconds.

Yes, so that is the same IP address I get every time.

And, yes again in devices network tools I get an IP address of 192.168.0.2.

I'm guessing but the computer is getting the IP address under IPV4 when it can't do this it defaults to IPV6 which just shows the hexadecimal number.

Anyway, so what do I do now?
I guess the routing table info. is not required at the moment?

joeashcraft
April 12th, 2009, 03:08 AM
The Network Manager applet should be on the top of the screen, to the left of the clock. It should look like
http://i43.tinypic.com/2a9d6zc.png OR http://i39.tinypic.com/v8hhkz.jpg OR http://i44.tinypic.com/2w1ts2b.png OR two computer monitors, one in front of the other.
If you don't see it you can start it by pressing Alt + F2 to bring up the Run Application dialog and type in
nm-appletMore helpful info at https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/internet/C/connect.html

As for the hexidecimal IP address. You can disable IPv6 to see if that helps. Detailed instructions here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebBrowsingSlowIPv6IPv4); summary below.

This is the official way to disable IPv6.
The instructions below is equivalent to that documented in Documentation for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - 3. Wireless Networking - Troubleshooting (https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/troubleshooting.html):

1. Open up a terminal and type (it is recommended to copy-and-paste it instead):

sudo sed -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases The above command comments the original line (alias net-pf-10 ipv6) and adding the effective line (alias net-pf-10 off). You may use your favorite editor to achieve the same result, if you find that using sed does not meet your taste.

2. To restart your computer, type:

sudo reboot

Miljet
April 12th, 2009, 04:24 AM
You might try editing your /etc/network/interfaces file again and removing everything except the first two lines. Those two lines should be all you need. I had problems with an install before and that is what fixed it.

joeashcraft
April 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM
You might try editing your /etc/network/interfaces file again and removing everything except the first two lines. Those two lines should be all you need. I had problems with an install before and that is what fixed it.

I'd definitely try this first, it's much simpler ;)

Patggf
April 12th, 2009, 08:02 AM

That did not work. Thanks anyway.

Patggf
April 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM
The Network Manager applet should be on the top of the screen, to the left of the clock. It should look like
http://i43.tinypic.com/2a9d6zc.png OR http://i39.tinypic.com/v8hhkz.jpg OR http://i44.tinypic.com/2w1ts2b.png OR two computer monitors, one in front of the other.
If you don't see it you can start it by pressing Alt + F2 to bring up the Run Application dialog and type in
nm-appletMore helpful info at https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/internet/C/connect.html

As for the hexidecimal IP address. You can disable IPv6 to see if that helps. Detailed instructions here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebBrowsingSlowIPv6IPv4); summary below.

This is the official way to disable IPv6.
The instructions below is equivalent to that documented in Documentation for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS - 3. Wireless Networking - Troubleshooting (https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/troubleshooting.html):

1. Open up a terminal and type (it is recommended to copy-and-paste it instead):

sudo sed -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases The above command comments the original line (alias net-pf-10 ipv6) and adding the effective line (alias net-pf-10 off). You may use your favorite editor to achieve the same result, if you find that using sed does not meet your taste.

2. To restart your computer, type:

sudo reboot

This is what I tried:

Here is what I tried to turn IPV6 off:
------------------------------------------------------------

pat@pat-desktop:~$ sudo sed -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
pat@pat-desktop:~$ sudo sed -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
pat@pat-desktop:~$ sudo gedit -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
Unknown option -i
Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
pat@pat-desktop:~$ gedit --help
Usage:
gedit [OPTION...] [FILE...] - Edit text files

Help Options:
-?, --help Show help options
--help-all Show all help options
--help-gtk Show GTK+ Options
--help-bonobo-activation Show Bonobo Activation options
--help-gnome Show GNOME options
--help-gnome-session Show session management options

Application Options:
--encoding=ENCODING Set the character encoding to be used to open the files listed on the command line
--new-window Create a new toplevel window in an existing instance of gedit
--new-document Create a new document in an existing instance of gedit
--display=DISPLAY X display to use

pat@pat-desktop:~$ gksudo gedit -i -e 's/alias net-pf-10 ipv6/#&\nalias net-pf-10 off/' /etc/modprobe.d/aliases

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It created the following output in the file aliases. I'll post a bit of the file:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# These are the standard aliases for devices and kernel drivers.
# This file does not need to be modified.
#
# Please file a bug against module-init-tools if a package needs a entry
# in this file.

# network protocols ################################################## ########
alias net-pf-1 unix
alias net-pf-2 ipv4
alias net-pf-3 ax25
alias net-pf-4 ipx
alias net-pf-5 appletalk
alias net-pf-6 netrom
alias net-pf-7 bridge
alias net-pf-8 atm
alias net-pf-9 x25
##alias net-pf-10 ipv6
alias net-pf-10 off
alias net-pf-10 off
a

----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way the command to alter the file aliases seemed to hang so I cancelled it. But it looks like it has worked. I then saved the file.

I'll reboot now sudo reboot...

I could not get online. Had to type in the terminal as before sudo dhclient:

---------------------------------------------------------------
pat@pat-desktop:~$ sudo dhclient
There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 5904
killed old client process, removed PID file
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.6
Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:0f:1f:54:27:5e
Sending on LPF/eth0/00:0f:1f:54:27:5e
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.0.2 on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK of 192.168.0.2 from 192.168.0.1
bound to 192.168.0.2 -- renewal in 41320 seconds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll take a break now. I think I need to review the posts and read some of the links in more depth to get a firmer grasp of what is going on. In the meantime thanking the posters for their help :)

joeashcraft
April 13th, 2009, 02:32 AM
The sed command won't produce output if it worked without error. So when you ran it the first time and it didn't appear to do anything, it worked (for most commands, no output means it worked). Since that didn't fix anything you can go back and undo the changes (remove the # from the commented line "##alias net-pf-10 ipv6" and remove the whole line "alias net-pf-10 off"). You can do that by running
$ gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
One thing you can that should guarantee a connection after a reboot is set a static IP address for the desktop (I didn't suggest this earlier because I thought it'd be an simpler thing. This doesn't really fix the problem but is a work around). I don't imagine you'll be moving your desktop to different networks often, so this shouldn't cause any troubles. To do this we first need to get some information. Right click on the network-manager applet and choose Connection Information. You can keep this window open or take note of the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default route.

To set the static IP goto System > Administration > Network. In the Connections tab select the Wired Connection and click "Properties". Make sure "Enable this connection" is checked and select "Static IP" from "Configuration". Then fill in the next three fields with the info from the Connection Infomation dialog from earlier.

Patggf
April 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks Joe I appreciate your help but I'd rather not switch to a static IP address as a workaround because I can always get on the net when I have a problem connecting by typing dhclient.

In an earlier post you wanted to establish whether I was getting an IP address when I can't get on line. You asked me to select the Network Applet and click on 'Connection Information'. I took another route to establish if I was getting an IP using the network apps under System-->Administration.( This is when I posted I was getting the same IP that dhclient gets when on line and when I couldn't get on line in the field where the IP address was previously there was a long hexidecimal number instead.)I had to take this other route because the 'Connection Information' tab is faded out so I can't click on it.

Finally, I'll enable IPv6 again as per your advice.

I've got a book on Ubuntu and will work my way through it to become more familiar with the system before I make any more changes and do a bit of online reading.

Thanks very much for your time and effort.