PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Connecting to windows network

hzrunner
April 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I am trying to connect my Ubuntu Dell Inpiron 2650 to my Windows XP home network (main computer there is a Gateway) and I am using a US Robotics router (wireless and wired). The connection to the router works wireless and wired and I can access the internet, but I cannot access my Gatewa. I have tried some of the suggestion in two of the other threads but I am still stuck.
One suggestion was to download Samba and winbind, which I did, but I cannot find winbind to follow that option. How do I get to it? The next step was to change a code line, how to I get to the edit part of it?
I also tried to follow another option: Places -> Connect to Server -> Server Type: Windows share, For server, I tried to enter the name of the Gateway computer and the IP address, both were not recognized.
Help is most appreciated.

tarps87
April 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you have tried so we'll start from the beginning.
First can the computers talk to each other:

ping -c 3 ip_address_of_gateway
You should get a reply.
No check if samba works.

smbtree
If you share has a password on you will need to enter it.

Can you post the output from these to commands and then we will go from there

superprash2003
April 6th, 2009, 04:42 PM
try accessing via ip address instead of hostnames.. check to see if any firewall is disabling access

billgoldberg
April 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Install Samba, lots of guides on setting it up.

MarcyOne
April 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM

follow the instruction in there. it will tell you what to do next and its compatibility.

hzrunner
April 7th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I pinged on my Ubuntu computer and got a reply. When I entered smbtree it asked for the password (the Ubuntu one, I guess), but that didn't lead anywhere. I have Samba installed, but couldn't try out the instructions that billgoldberg has listed (it took a while to find the one I seem to need. Need to grab some sleep now.

lisati
April 7th, 2009, 04:31 AM

Here's the one I used: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605

tarps87
April 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I pinged on my Ubuntu computer and got a reply. When I entered smbtree it asked for the password (the Ubuntu one, I guess), but that didn't lead anywhere. I have Samba installed, but couldn't try out the instructions that billgoldberg has listed (it took a while to find the one I seem to need. Need to grab some sleep now.

This is the password of you windows share, if you don't have one then just hit enter

superprash2003
April 7th, 2009, 05:32 PM
you dont need to install samba if you want to connect to windows shares