PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading to ubuntu

kevin36
April 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I asked on Friday I was asking about installing Ubuntu on a virus infested computer, and it completely resurrected the computer! Anyways, I've been playing around with Ubuntu all weekend, and I'm totally sold on it. I want to install it on a few more computers. My questions are, are any of the computers I'm going to install Ubuntu on capable of 64bit version? I'm sorry to ask such "n00bie" questions, but I need the help. The computers I'm going to install Ubuntu on are:

hp pavilion a645c
Memory: 434.4 MiB
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (I think 2.2 Ghz)

acer aspire 5515
Memory: 2.7 GiB
Processor: AMD Athlon Processor 2650e (I think 1.6 Ghz)

Another question I have is how do I check my video card? I can't seem to figure it out on the Ubuntu desktop.

Finally, what function do you all set the function of your Windows button on your keyboard too? ;)

Thanks to all!!

AllenGG
April 5th, 2009, 04:49 PM
First : good for you !
The AMD is a 64 bit processor. the other appears to be a 32 bit.
Install the 32 bit version for most systems that you are NOT using. From experience there is sometimes a real lag in 64 bit drivers.
Next, the video card is easy, use the "system tools - Sysinfo" , which you can get with any live CD including Knoppix.

With friends computers I've installed linux Ubuntu, since some were having extreme virus and spyware problems.

kevin36
April 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the help! But which AMD is the 64bit processor? Do you think both of the systems I posted should use 32bit Ubuntu? Finally, I still can't seem to find the video card... is in under the System tab on the Ubuntu desktop?

AllenGG
April 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Ooops, sorry Kevin. I meant the first one. AMD shows which processor does what on their support page. Intel does as well, it just takes longer.

AllenGG
April 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Install "sysinfo" from Synaptic. It will appear under "system tools in the applications menu.

ajgreeny
April 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Also hwinfo from the repos will give you all the information on your hardware the same as
lshw in terminal, but using a gui.