PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] What is ubuntu-desktop?

humandraydel
April 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM
A theme I wanted to use suggests installing gtk-engines-ubuntulooks. However, ubuntulooks will uninstall ubuntu-desktop. I checked ubuntu-desktop and it is "recommended that you not uninstall it." So what is ubuntu-desktop and do I need it?

UbuntuNerd
April 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
check here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MetaPackages)

Giblet5
April 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Ubuntu desktop is the Gnome desktop environment.

It is the default graphics interface when you install Ubuntu and it provides the gdm login greeter, the gnome window manager (metacity), and a suite of tools for almost every purpose that all play well together.

If you installed Ubuntu (not Kubuntu or Mythbuntu), you might, or might not, turn your PC into a text-only interface server by uninstalling ubuntu-desktop.

(Text is nice too, btw)

I've seen people brick a $300 iPhone because they wanted an app that "looks sooo cool!". It's best to understand a little about what you have before rushing to improve it.

Do some research on the different Linux desktop environments. You can usually install many different environments and choose them from the login greeter.

Google "gnome desktop", "kde desktop", and do some reading.

I wouldn't install anything that insists that I uninstall ANYTHING until I understood exactly what I was trying to do.

gjoellee
April 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
ubuntu-desktop is just a package that require all the packages that comes in Ubuntu by default as dependencies. This way you jut have to install ubuntu-desktop and all the packages that ubuntu has by default will install. This way it is easier to maintain and install Ubuntu.'

Ubuntu desktop is the Gnome desktop environment.

Wrong and right....Ubuntu runs in GNOME, but if ubuntu-desktop where the GNOME environment only, mythbuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop would be exactly the same. It is not!