PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to love my new job! ^_^

mr.propre
April 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I know, I Know, most of you will find this post useless (and some will find me an attention *censored*) :-)
But most of my friends (and GF) aren't linux users and don't understand my excitement.

This week I just got the good news that I was hired as ICT-assistant at my government where all the servers run on SUSE and all the windows desktops uses novel technology. I'm really excited especially as I'm still following a course junior .net developer in the evening and I never thought I ever would work in a Linux environment. Me.status = "Happy"

I'm starting 20th April, so I have 14 days of vacation until then, witch I will spend learning Suse in VirtualBox ;-) and looking for a new laptop bag as my old one gives up on me. I'm thinking of buying the "Ubuntu Ogio Messenger Bag", I heard that most people are satisfied about it :-)

Joeb454
April 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Congrats, sounds like you want to start sooner though ;)

gnomeuser
April 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Enjoy, openSUSE and SLE* are very nice platforms. You can check out susestudio.com as well for some of the cool stuff they are working on in that camp.

glotz
April 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM
There should be a lot of work for you, converting them all to Debian.

eragon100
April 5th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I know, I Know, most of you will find this post useless (and some will find me an attention *censored*) :-)
But most of my friends (and GF) aren't linux users and don't understand my excitement.

This week I just got the good news that I was hired as ICT-assistant at my government where all the servers run on SUSE and all the windows desktops uses novel technology. I'm really excited especially as I'm still following a course junior .net developer in the evening and I never thought I ever would work in a Linux environment. Me.status = "Happy"

I'm starting 20th April, so I have 14 days of vacation until then, witch I will spend learning Suse in VirtualBox ;-) and looking for a new laptop bag as my old one gives up on me. I'm thinking of buying the "Ubuntu Ogio Messenger Bag", I heard that most people are satisfied about it :-)

Congrats about the job, I don't really like OpenSuse as a Desktop system tough, but I don't know how it performs on a server.

Have fun!

aschwerin.moses
April 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Congrats.. have fun

dragos240
April 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
*Jealous*

chris200x9
April 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM
:) congrats

bsharp
April 5th, 2009, 05:24 PM
If you enjoy your work, you will never work a day in your life.

I could use something like that.

swoll1980
April 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Grats

Marshal0505
April 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Congrats and enjoy your new job :D

mkarnicki
May 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM
There should be a lot of work for you, converting them all to Debian.

Good one :D And yeah, congrats! I personally would love to work one day as linux developer.

MaxIBoy
May 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I agree with what someone else said, Linux systems are very reliable, they practically maintain themselves... until you start tweaking them for boot time. :D

Mister LinOx
May 25th, 2009, 07:43 PM
If you enjoy your work, you will never work a day in your life.

I could use something like that.

Wasn't that a quote from Confucius?

Oh, and congrats! I hope you are still enjoying it!

Wiebelhaus
May 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
This thread seriously needs an update. It's been a month I want to know how it's going.

MikeTheC
May 25th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Good for you!

0per4t0r
May 25th, 2009, 09:04 PM
My school runs Windows in excess, but they use novell login, and other novell tools. (They're still IE addicts, though. Even though novell is moving toward open-source)

alcho+69
May 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM
good luck with your job, or something

mr.propre
May 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM
An update as requested.

Q: Do I love my job?
A: YES ^_^

It's indeed a month now and for the moment I'm still learning allot of the company, so not to busy. The biggest part for now is helpdesk, but because we have one of the most stable computer parks of my government (so I'm told), 90% of the time is waiting. It's a little bit like "The Website Is Down" except I can't play games. ;-)

Though I'm not a Microsoft hater (we still use MS on desktops), it feels special to know you work close the EU-buildings (my train stops there) where Neelie Kroes gave Microsoft a fine of €497 million and I also have a nice view of the place where Bill got Pie'd. -- Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhe0H8RDNcc).

glotz
May 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM
novell is moving toward open-sourceIf Novell is moving, that's the only direction they can go at the moment...

it feels special to know you work close the EU-buildings (my train stops there) where Neelie Kroes gave Microsoft a fine of €497 million and I also have a nice view of the place where Bill got Pie'd
:lol: