PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] how to set X / gmd background color?

akos.maroy
April 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I'm having an issue setting the background color of the gdm application. this is the color that appears _after_ one has entered his username / password, but before the users on gnome theme kicks in.

on ubuntu 8.10, this appears to be the brownish color of the default Human theme. if I ask gdmflexiserver, it tells me about this color indeed:

$ gdmflexiserver --command="GET_CONFIG greeter/GraphicalThemedColor $DISPLAY"
OK #dab082

now, I tried to change this in a number of ways, but to no avail. I replaced this color code in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf:

BackgroundColor=#dab082
GraphicalThemedColor=#dab082

I also replaced references to "Human" (the default unbuntu 8.10 gdm theme) to the gdm theme I'm using in the same config file:

GtkGtktheme=Human
GraphicalTheme=Human

naturally, the gdm theme is set to my preferred theme already, instead of Human.

but still, after I type in my login details, I still get the old default brownish color. and the response from the gdmflexiserver command is also the same.

how / where do I set this background color preference?

_Purple_
April 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Go to System > Preference > Appearance.

You can change it from Colors in Background tab.

akos.maroy
April 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Go to System > Preference > Appearance.

You can change it from Colors in Background tab.

yes, of course this was one of the first things I did. unfortunately this one doesn't have any effect :(

but, the change in setting in /etc/gdm/gmd.conf did have an effect after all, only after a reboot though.

mcduck
April 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
The GUI way is System/Administration/Login Window. You can set the color on local-tab (the same place where GDM themes are selected).

akos.maroy
April 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
The GUI way is System/Administration/Login Window. You can set the color on local-tab (the same place where GDM themes are selected).

thanks - indeed, this solution works fine!