View Full Version : Ubuntu Notify: notifies you of a new message in TB via notify-osd

April 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Hello all,
I created this addon to notify the user of a new mail message in Thunderbird via notify-osd, but I don't know if I have done it right. It works all right, but I have a couple of issues: I use javascript to run a compiled C file, will that work on all different Ubuntu Jaunty computers or is there a better way to do it?
Also, in C I use the libnotify library, is this the correct library for the new notification system?
Your feedback is very welcome.
P.S.: you can download the addon via: This link (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/11340)
To view the source of the C file use This link (http://ubublogger.wordpress.com/2009/04/04/using-ubuntu-jauntys-new-notification-system-notify-osd/)

April 7th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hi Ruben,

I grabbed your nifty little add-on via the Thunderbird add-ons-page, and added to ThunderBird v in 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04. However, after installing it, no changes in notify-OSD is seen. It doesn't notify when new mails arrive. Perhaps we could figure out why?

If this code is programmed correctly it is bound to have a place in future versions of thunderbird, as this is on the to do-list for notify-OSD (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD#Thunderbird).

April 8th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks for your reply!
Well, I think I know exactly what the problem is ;). You are using 64-bit Ubuntu, while I'm using 32-bit Ubuntu. And the application uses a compiled C program.
I'm not too sure how to fix this though - should I create separate 32 and 64 bit versions?

April 8th, 2009, 04:59 PM
That sounds like the most probably cause, yes. I'm by all means not a programmer, however, I've seen several other add-ons and applications that come in separate 32-bit and 64-bit versions. This makes me think that the same solution would be appropriate for your add-on.

If you're able to create a 64-bit version, I hereby volunteer as a crash-test dummy ;)

April 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Could you help me in creating this 64-bit version then?
You have a 64-bit Ubuntu machine, so it will be easier for you to compile a 64-bit executable than it will be for me. I will attach a zipped c source file, and if you want to help, here is how to compile it:
Go to a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install libnotify1
When it is installed, browse to the directory where you have saved my attachment (cd ~ if you have saved it in your home folder) and type the following in the terminal:

gcc -o ubuntu-notify-amd64 ubuntu-notify.c `pkg-config --libs libnotify --cflags gtk+-2.0`
Then please zip the resulting executable file and post it here as an attachment so I can include it in the addon.
Thanks in advance! ;)

April 10th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I'm hoping that the 64 bit version works because I'd love thunderbird to display it's notifications through libnotify :D

April 10th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Ruben, please see the attached file.

The command you told me to run resulted in erroneous output:

Package libnotiy was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libnotiy'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libnotiy' found
Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

So I read the man pages for gcc, and then more importantly pkg-config, as well as searching the net for answers. I knew that I had both the required packages installed, but I thought that I was missing some other dependencies. Build-essentials was there, but not the development-packages. So I installed libnotify-dev and libgtk2.0-dev, and the gcc-cmd with the source code you provided worked out fine. It should be ok for build and install now. Hopefully :)

April 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM
You need the package 'libnotify-dev'.

It looks like you also might need some GTK dev packages.

April 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks for wanting to help, johnl, but I figured it out. Did you even read what I wrote? :)

April 10th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks for wanting to help, johnl, but I figured it out. Did you even read what I wrote? :)

Apparently not quite enough of it. Whoops.

Glad you figured it out :)

April 10th, 2009, 10:42 PM
This add-on is simply awsome. Thanks :)

April 11th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I'm very excited for this. I have been waiting for something like this. Thanks Ruben. I'm running a 64bit system, I can't wait untill the 64bit version of this plugin is available!

April 11th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Okay...I really couldn't wait. I added the compiled file uploaded by tbone7 to the extension folder, then changed the javascript line relating to the file, and created an .xpi file. The attached zip archive contains the .xpi file which works with 64bit systems.

rubenverweij: I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty to do so. I was thinking (and I don't know if this is possible with javascript) is to have an if/else statement to determine what architecture the person is using, and then have instantiate file to the appropriate program. And the other suggestion I had was to add which mailbox the new e-mail is in. I have 5 different mailboxes in Thunderbird and I think it would be helpful to be told in the notification what account the e-mail is in.

It works well so far, and I'm looking forward to test this out. If you need any help, let me know.

April 11th, 2009, 07:25 AM
@remu: Thanks for your suggestions. I will look at your code and I will figure out if I can add the functionality you suggest (maybe tunable in the preferences?). I will post back again after it is done. :p

@tbone7: Okay, cool you figured that out. I completely forgot. Thanks for your help!

April 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Well, its your code, I just added "-amd64" to the end of the file name, lol.
One other thing I just realized, the popup says "Mail Subject, Send to you by so and so" where it should say Sent.

But overall, I am loving it! Great work!

April 11th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Once again the community-based collaborative software development shines :) Thanks guys. Looking forward to your updates, Ruben.

April 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Should get a Ubuntu PPA up, so you wouldn't worry about architectures - it'll compile both for 32bit and 64bit for you.

Let me know if you'd like help with that.

April 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM
@vadi: Yes, I would appreciate your help, I have no experience whatsoever with a Ubuntu PPA. If you could help me with it it would be very appreciated.

I will update the addon package too - I will let you know when it is ready.
Thank you all for your positive reactions! ;)

April 11th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Updated the addon to support amd64 and fix the typo. You can either wait for it to become available on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/11340 or download the attachment. (rename it to ubuntunotify.xpi)
Could someone please test whether the amd64 version works?

April 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I tried it. Works perfectly here on Ubuntu Jaunty amd64!

April 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Okay, cool! ;)

Sam Lars
April 11th, 2009, 05:08 PM
This is great! I've been using the Mailbox Alert plugin, but this is much better. Thanks for getting it working on 64-bit, too.

April 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I can confirm, works like a charm on my x64 Jaunty :)

April 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Oh, so it can be fully installed via an .xpi?

In that case I guess a PPA isn't needed so much, I think thunderbird does updates too :)

April 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
It did for me, I agree, no need for a PPA.

April 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I've uploaded version 1.2 which makes it possible to display the folder in which the email is received. I'm not sure if it's the ultimate way yet, so any feedback would be welcome. (BTW: it's turned off by default, so go to Tools->Add-ons->Ubuntu Notify->Preferences to turn it on)

Sam Lars
April 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM
One annoying thing... I get a lot of email sometimes, and when I do, it sits there displaying notices for like 5 minutes. Is there a way to clear the queued notifications when I switch to Thunderbird or something like that?

April 13th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Works well with the folder information. However, I was wondering if it is possible to say which account as well. Or just the account. I have a few different accounts set up in thunderbird, and they all have their own Inbox folder, currently if any one of them recieves a new e-mail, the notification says that there is a new e-mail in the inbox, without mentioning which inbox. Do you know what I mean?

April 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I think the "mail indicator applet" is supposed to help with the tons of notifications problems.

*ruben, maybe you should think about allowing the merging of notifications? See "Merging notifications" in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD

April 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM
@remu: Yes, I was afraid that would happen. I will look for another approach then.

@Sam Lars: I will look into this also, don't really know a solution though as of yet.

April 18th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hello everyone,
I have created a new version that has the following new features:

Display the account name instead of folder name
Don't notify of junk mail
Correctly display non UTF-8 strings

I only don't know whether the new features work on your thunderbird setup too...
Could someone please help me and test the new features before I upload it to addons.mozilla.org?
Any help would really be appreciated! :D
P.S.: See the attachment for the .xpi file. Just unzip and install.

April 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Uh oh. possible duplicated effort: https://launchpad.net/libnotify-mozilla

April 18th, 2009, 06:56 PM
works fine as did the previous version, using this add on with thunderbird3 results in popups for all mails including sorted out spam mails - i know this is developed for tb2* only so do you know a website where I can read about notifying/extension developement for tb3?

Id like to help here as there is *no* notify add on which works with thunderbird3 right now, tried everything I found (MozTrayBiff, Notify execute, new mail alert,thunderbird-dbus,...).

Thunderbird-dbus (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/5617) was the only extension (besides yours) which works with tb3 somehow (having working dbus notifications would be great as we could use custom scripts to execute whatever we want, popups, sounds, led-blinking,...), sends dbus messages but as your addon does this for *all* incoming mails...

April 23rd, 2009, 03:13 AM
The latest version doesn't seem to be working for me.

April 24th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I just downloaded and installed the extension, and it works, but I'm getting two popups for every message. Is that a known problem?

April 24th, 2009, 12:01 PM
That happened to me once after I had been fiddling with the preferences. A reboot solved it then.

April 24th, 2009, 01:49 PM

is there a chance of 'queueing' unread mail in the message stack (*), as with pidgin contacts / messages? Otherwise, the notification would pop up, disappear, and there would be no visible trace left of the new mail.

Best wishes,

(*) i.e. indicator-applet

April 25th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I figured out what's going on with the multiple notifications when I got three of them - because I had opened a third folder window. It appears that the extension runs for every open window, and each instance sends a notification when a new message comes in. I'll go diving into the code to see if I can figure out the best way to make it only send one notification regardless of the number of open windows.

April 29th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Hello everyone,
Correctly display non UTF-8 strings

The plugin does not display special characters like , , correctly on my setup, it only shows the UTF8 string. In ~/.cache/notify-osd.log it is shown correctly.

I also think that if one gets more than one email at the same time, it would be better to show them in a single notification. Mark Shuttleworth suggests showing details for up to 3 emails:
I like the behaviour of libnotify-mozilla better here.

It would also be nice to see integration with the indicator-applet using libindicate. This way your plugin could give better integration with the new notification system in Ubuntu than what is presently possible with Evolution.

Sam Lars
May 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
I also think that if one gets more than one email at the same time, it would be better to show them in a single notification. Mark Shuttleworth suggests showing details for up to 3 emails:

Definitely +1 for that, maybe even an option for how many emails it would show at once. Maybe break them down by folder.

May 12th, 2009, 11:33 AM
This plugin is very useful, however is there a way to get it to display the envelope icon in the notification area after the notification? Seems to be in the screenshot but I can't get it to work...

June 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I think this is the best among all the notify-osd addons, for thunderbird.

But is there a way that all the mails are displayed in just 1 bubble, rather than several consecutive bubbles. , [similar to how thunderbird does]? what mark has said as 3 is not nice,max 5 would be a better target. and the rest in the second bubble, and so on... a max of 3 bubbles at a time would be good.
for beyond 15mails the 3rd bubble should say "+ X new mails have arrived" in the last line of the third bubble

if that is done this would be perfect :)

July 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
@rubenverweij: Great plugin. Why don't you register it at Launchpad for bugs/development, etc and post on addons.mozilla.org?

If it is not included in the repos in Ubuntu (with thunderbird recomending/requiring it) or not incorporated into Thunderbird itself, atleast we can use download and use it from the official site.

July 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks for your compliment. I have stopped working on this version of the plugin, since it has been merged with another plugin. You can visit our Launchpad project at https://launchpad.net/libnotify-mozilla. I'm still contributing to the project, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to register a blueprint or drop me an email!