PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newb questions on upgrading.

BardSeed
April 5th, 2009, 05:17 AM
The story so far:
I received the Ubuntu disk that I ordered months ago. After playing around with it for a bit, I realised that I didn't have the space nor RAM to maintain a dual boot, so I decided to keep XP. A few days ago, a routine update from Microsoft completely messed up my computer. I couldn't see any way of fixing it because I couldn't even access a profile. Of course, I then remembered the Ubuntu disk.

I've been getting along well with it. I managed to fix the sound so that I could actually use rhythm box and Youtube. I also sorted the problem I was having with shutting down my computer, both thanks to this forum. :)
I've decided to learn a bit about the CLI and I've discovered that I have Ubuntu 8.04.2, but 8.10 is out... The Ubuntu wiki tells me that this code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade me to the latest version. I was wondering what the advantages are and, seeing as I've already began building my music collection back up, if it will cause any loss of memory. Is there much point in me upgrading?

Thanks for the help. Sorry if this has been asked before.

taurus
April 5th, 2009, 05:20 AM
If you're happy with hardy, 8.04, stick with it since it's a LTS--Long Term Support. However, in a few weeks, intrepid (8.10) would not be the latest release anymore since jaunty (9.04) would be out.

pbpersson
April 5th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Each version number is a date so version 8.10 is 2008-October and 9.04 is 2009-April

For any release you can view the version release notes on the web, look at screen shots, whatever.

Each version includes new utilities, lots of updates, and a new kernel, Gnome, and KDE version.

The look and feel is a little different as well.

linuxuser21
April 5th, 2009, 05:26 AM
If there's no problem with your hardware and everything seems to be working out so far, then, you might not need to. But, updated versions means updated versions of everything else. Ex, Firefox, Rhythmbox, ect.

majamba
April 5th, 2009, 05:30 AM
If there's no problem with your hardware and everything seems to be working out so far, then, you might not need to. But, updated versions means updated versions of everything else. Ex, Firefox, Rhythmbox, ect.

yeah but the older staff is usually more stable if you look at debian

though i am person that likes new stuff and new features.

linuxuser21
April 5th, 2009, 05:36 AM
yeah but the older staff is usually more stable if you look at debian

though i am person that likes new stuff and new features.

Not necessarily, they'll work bugs out and fix problems with it. Stuff sometimes comes with new features, which is the part that might make them unstable; however, I also enjoy new things and new features as well. Instability and such is not a problem for me. There's usually a solution for it. I guess I always thought stuff was much more stable in 8.10 than 8.04. That's just me though. :)

click4851
April 16th, 2009, 04:20 AM
unless you have a seperate home partition you might want to backup your personal stuff, course you should be backing up anyway.....you know what I mean....lol