PDA

View Full Version : Linux users, creatures of the night?

billgoldberg
April 5th, 2009, 01:33 AM
It's 2.30 at night now.

Yet there are a lot of W-European users online (besides the British, those are all in the same timezone).

Yesterday I was on until 3.40 at night, same thing.

I never noticed it before because I normally go out in the weekend but I found it quite odd.

So, Linux users: creatures of the night.

dragos240
April 5th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Nah, ******* users too, and mac users, just depends on the person not the os.

happysmileman
April 5th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Was up till 4 last night, probably will be again tonight, if not later.
No real reason, just whenever I'm out of school for more than a couple of days this tends to happen.

linuxisevolution
April 5th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Correct, we are creatures of the night.

Just like bats, we are sneaky perversive and clever creatures.

EDIT: So are windoz users, but they are up fixing problems of their benevolent Vista installation..

Sealbhach
April 5th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Yes, I'm a nocturnal creature. Whenever I have time off I tend to start staying up late and then sleeping till the late afternoon - it seems to be my natural Circadian rhythm.

dragos240
April 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Correct, we are creatures of the night.

Just like bats, we are sneaky perversive and clever creatures.

EDIT: So are windoz users, but they are up fixing problems of their benevolent Vista installation..

That, and possibly watching :-\"

cardinals_fan
April 5th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Not me. I like to go to bed by 21:00 and wake up by 5:00. I do my best work before it gets light out (well... not in summer :P)

kyphi
April 5th, 2009, 01:46 AM
"Carpe Diem" and hope that it never ends.

Mehall
April 5th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Yes, I'm a nocturnal creature. Whenever I have time off I tend to start staying up late and then sleeping till the late afternoon - it seems to be my natural Circadian rhythm.

See, I always assumed it was because everything good online happened when America was on, but having been other places and still done it (and know plenty of americans who do it too) It must be that, because It still happens that I saty up till 3am or later, even when I'm in a different timeZone.

inobe
April 5th, 2009, 01:53 AM
i see it differently

give me something interesting new to try, i will do my best to stay awake much as possible.

the problem is' there are too many things of interest, in fact a life time of opportunity with my current and future linux desktops.......

so yes' linux keeps me awake all night.

toupeiro
April 5th, 2009, 01:59 AM
One of the things that I quickly clung onto with computers is that they were a wonderful outlet during episodes of really bad insomnia in my youth. I've gone as long as 4 days (I'd debate 5, but my friend says it doesn't count because I took a 1 hour nap somewhere in there) during a spring break one year without being able to fall asleep. It was not my intention to do this, I just couldn't sleep. Back then, I'd try to figure out how to load as much into DEVICEHIGH on MS-DOS as I could to give all of my 640K conventional memory to play my games. It was learning how to solve problems like this, evolving into more complex ones over time, that made computers an easy career choice. It wasn't just linux though. DOS, Windows, and Amiga all have had their binge sessions. To me, I think you either are a night-owl, or you're not. If you are, The internet is always open.. even on Christmas. :P

rmayer32
April 5th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I work nights so I guess I must be somewhat. :)

Helios1276
April 5th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I'm in Western Europe and find myself on here usually between 12 and 3 am. There just seems to be more peace to work on stuff around that time.

linuxisevolution
April 5th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Nah, ******* users too, and mac users, just depends on the person not the os.

I like your new avatar.

dragos240
April 5th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I like your new avatar.

Oh thanks, it's an edited version of aysiu's.

SomeGuyDude
April 5th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Well when your hobby isn't limited by daylight or anything being open, it's easy to stay up way late.

Personally I'm asleep at 12:30-ish and up at 8 (unemployed, but I refuse to be one of those unemployed guys that doesn't get up until noon).

Rokurosv
April 5th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I go to bed around 12:30 or so and wake up at 9:30 or something. I usually stay up late at night, or morning, when I'm doing some college work or reading something really cool, for example about ITIL or something of the sorts

Barrucadu
April 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I tend to go to sleep between 1 and 2AM, and then wake up between 7 and 8AM. I don't know why, I don't have an alarm to wake me up or consciously check the time before I go to sleep, but on the few occasions when I do check the time, that seems to be the trend. There isn't any particular reason for this I go to bed between midnight and 1AM, it just takes me an hour or so of laying in darkness to actually get to sleep, and six hours seems to be all my body needs as I wake up naturally.

kuja
April 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Even before I started working nights I'd always liked to stay up way late, even if it meant not sleeping. I personally find nights more comfortable, and there are generally less distractions. Lately I go to bed at around 07:00, and wake up around 15:00.

cmay
April 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
not me. i get up in the morning every morning when the birds start to sing. that they will do around 4 in the morning. i check the ubuntu forums then while drinking morning coffee.
then later i get sleepy and i sleep a hour or two.

at night i go to bed around 9 or ten but often wakes up in the middle of the night and sit drinking coffee and smoke cigarettes for a couple of hours. that is just a period i am in right now.

i tend to sleep whole night trough and never go to bed later than 11 and then wake up 3 or 4 in the morning and be awake all day when my rythm is normal.

donovan1983
April 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I've just gotten used to being at work until 3 or 4AM so it's natural for me to still be up in the wee hours of the morning. It wreaks havoc with my sleep schedule but I've gotten somewhat used to it.

Snappo
April 5th, 2009, 12:11 PM
You better believe it... ):P

Naz_Farooq
April 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I don't sleep while using my Ubuntu 8.10
:lolflag:

spupy
April 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Well duh, I need to stay until at least 3AM to be able to compile all those programs by hand (after hunting down the dependencies as well)!</sarcasm>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome
:(

collinp
April 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I tend to stay up until 11AM or 11:30AM and sleep until 8-9AM. I dont know why, but I /always/ wake up sometime between 8-9PM. Even if I went to sleep at 6AM, I would still wake up sometime between them. Really odd.

VitaLiNux
April 13th, 2009, 03:23 AM
To some extent it is true, because it is my case. Even though it is true for people that use other OSes too. So, that's not exactly an exclusive feature for us Linuxers.

kk0sse54
April 13th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I'm usually up till midnight since I have to wake up at 6 in the morning for school.

Sealbhach
April 13th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Well duh, I need to stay until at least 3AM to be able to compile all those programs by hand (after hunting down the dependencies as well)!</sarcasm>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome
:(

So that's what I have. It's 3.34 am where I am.

sekinto
April 13th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I don't go to bed until people start waking up!

Yownanymous
April 13th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I confess to using Windows at this moment in time, it's 5 to 4 in the morning in Britain, and I can't seem to sleep, so instead I put on some Pink Floyd and took a surf on the old web.

pwnst*r
April 13th, 2009, 04:00 AM
i was up until 0330, but that's because i went out for sushi with friends and got drunk. i'm pretty sure neither of my OS's had a hand in that.

armageddon08
April 13th, 2009, 04:17 AM
And I thought I was the lone vampire on earth....

CraigPaleo
April 13th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I'm an insomniac and sometimes don't know what I type in the middle of the night. It scares me sometimes when I wake up having no idea what's happened.

SuperSonic4
April 13th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I usually end up going to bed when the sun rises. Which will be in about an hour from now. Hence my bedtime will get earlier until June 21 excluding local cloud conditions

Denestria
April 13th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I am unable to maintain a "normal" sleep cycle for more than a day or two.

Normal for me is going to sleep between 4-6am (when my husband is getting up) and waking up at 12-1pm. School was torture for me because I can't sleep at night and when I was forced to do so I would often go for days without sleeping until the weekend when I could sleep during the day.

If something happens that prevents me from going to bed at my normal time (4-6am) like travelling I'll often no longer be tired and feel kind of manic until my next normal sleep cycle comes around.

bs_one
April 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I'm quite the same...
I usually am tired during the day and get active during night...
I bet I could easily sleep a whole day just to be tired the next day...