PDA

View Full Version : burning .exe to disk

davo11
April 5th, 2009, 12:32 AM
i wasn't sure if to put this in the help forums or here so it's here.
is it possible using a standard (linux or windows) cd/dvd burner, to burn a .exe to cd and make it run from the cd? just as you get with a pc game or software ie - insert cd, click run and it runs.
if this is possible how would you do it? or would you just burn it to disk and thats it?
thanks

(sorry for the bad wording)

billgoldberg
April 5th, 2009, 12:34 AM
is it possible using a standard (linux or windows) cd/dvd burner, to burn a .exe to cd and make it run from the cd? just as you get with a pc game or software ie - insert cd, click run and it runs.
if this is possible how would you do it? or would you just burn it to disk and thats it?
thanks

Just burning the .exe as a data cd should do the trick.

At least, I don't see a reason why that shouldn't work.

Never done it before.

jpeddicord
April 5th, 2009, 12:34 AM
thanks

Pretty much, but if you want it to autolaunch, you need an additional file: autorun.inf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoRun#The_autorun.inf_file

billgoldberg
April 5th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Pretty much, but with an additional file: autorun.inf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoRun#The_autorun.inf_file

Without that file you could still just browse to the cd in explorer and double click it to launch the exe, right?

azredwing
April 5th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Without that file you could still just browse to the cd in explorer and double click it to launch the exe, right?

Yup. File's a file, so if you can run it in Windows you can run it on a CD in Windows.

logos34
April 5th, 2009, 12:38 AM
As long as you have Wine installed, you can run it on linux (.exe = windows program executable).

Or I should say, you *may* be able to run it--if it's not protected somehow (as in the case of an .exe on a CD I was just trying to run. It refuses, not sure what the deal it).

billgoldberg
April 5th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Yup. File's a file, so if you can run it in Windows you can run it on a CD in Windows.

That is what I was thinking.

Just making sure I didn't make an idiot out of myself.

:p:p

Dale61
April 5th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Yes, it is very possible.

In fact, I have a disc that has several .exe's for Windows based programs that I use on friends computers whenever I get that dreaded phone call to come over and see if I can get rid of such-and-such a virus/trojan/etc.

I tell them that I'll do it on one condition, and that is if I can install programs that will help them in future, not hinder them.

To this day, I am still installing Firefox from my cd, as well as AVG, MailWasher, Thunderbird, S&D, etc, etc,. I have yet to convince them if they switch over to Ubuntu, none of the listed programs would be needed, but as they use Windows at work, they want Windows at home.

Go figure!

davo11
April 5th, 2009, 07:10 AM
thanks everyone for this help
it was pretty obvious but i was stupid and just wanted to check