PDA

View Full Version : Best distro for me....

dragos240
April 4th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Okay, I have an AMD dual core processor, 2 gb of ram, 500gb hard drive, and other stuffs. I use a wireless linksys antenna thing, and i connect to a WPA2 connection, so updating in arch is very... hard. I want a really really barebone system, one that I can customize to my liking, I don't care if it's really hard to install or anything, but if it works for what I want then it's great, I would use arch, but it's just not working :(. Also if i'm not asking too much, can it compile from source easily and tarballs, and perhaps have a package manager.

BGFG
April 4th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Check out Gentoo

dragos240
April 4th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Check out Gentoo

Thanks I will, and I applaud you on your quick response :)

SomeGuyDude
April 4th, 2009, 10:27 PM
What isn't working about Arch?

Also check out Slackware. And apparently CRUX is like Arch only even more bare.

dragos240
April 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Can someone help me with installing gentoo? Doesn't provide any information on how to install it, although from what I learned about it, it would seem that way, can anyone provide me with a guide on how to install gentoo? I used the minimal install cd for amd64 from the gentoo website.

gnomeuser
April 4th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I ran Gentoo for many years and it is a fine system for your stated requirements. Aside that you can look at Foresight (their Conary package manager is primarily binary but you can run conary emerge package to build it from source). There is also Exherbo, it is early in development but they aim to fix some of the problems that have snuck into Gentoo over the years by introducing a very clean design with some exciting features such as uniform user handling (http://fosdem.unixheads.org/2009/maintracks/exherbo.ogv - the lead developer giving a talk at FOSDEM on the project).

dragos240
April 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Thank you, but is there any guide for installing gentoo on my system? It just gives me a bash shell..

Greg
April 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml

That should help you out :)