PDA

View Full Version : just can't stress the fact enough

inobe
April 4th, 2009, 10:05 PM
i see a lot of folks trying to install drivers and they end up trashing their completely trashing their os following guides and whatnot......

some times i have noticed these folks never ran the system updates first !

some of you will know what i am talking about.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 10:18 PM
updates should always be first before after a fresh install.

jpeddicord
April 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
some times i have noticed these folks never ran the system updates first !

Yeah, the updates bit is always annoying, because they usually fix what the person was trying to fix themselves following a guide.

Jaunty helps to fix that, though. Instead of a notification popup in the corner of the screen, it simply opens Update Manager in a "deal with me NOW" fashion, which should get more people applying updates regularly.

inobe
April 4th, 2009, 10:50 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1115557

sort of an example that makes me want to apply my palm to the right side of my face.

procedure could fix this' or 177 doesn't support 9xxx cards, kinda not true considering i have a 9 series card..

curious of the steps prior to trashing the the systems hunting down headers ?

or wondering what needs purged/ cleaned up/ fixed just to have a perfect install.

jacobmp92 i cannot wait to see that feature, it sounds impressive.

Ralex1098
April 4th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I think things like that happen due to an incomplete knowledge of the system. I remember when I trashed my xorg file trying to get dual monitors to function when there was a much easier way of doing it through the GUI with an update. Updates are a beautiful thing. I've got high hopes for Jaunty.

inobe
April 5th, 2009, 01:25 AM
i think this is the proper way to start off

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1116337

of course some ati drivers have difficulty with newer xserver, i do think we can at least update the system and allow mesa to fix the resolution if the driver is unavailable .

the ultimate question> what if the updates have been applied already :-k

lyceum
April 5th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Jaunty helps to fix that, though. Instead of a notification popup in the corner of the screen, it simply opens Update Manager in a "deal with me NOW" fashion, which should get more people applying updates regularly.

Really? That sounds annoying Will we be able just give us the pop up if we want? That was one of the things I hated about Windows, forced updates. I really don't want the whole update manager popping up while I am trying to do something.

jpeddicord
April 5th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Really? That sounds annoying Will we be able just give us the pop up if we want? That was one of the things I hated about Windows, forced updates. I really don't want the whole update manager popping up while I am trying to do something.

Heh, I actually agree with you and have had update checking turned off since the change. There was a large mailing list thread about it. It supposedly appears every two days at most if updates are available, though it might have changed - I didn't follow the thread too far.

edit: Here's the result of the discussion: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel/27663/

OffHand
April 5th, 2009, 01:40 AM
really? That sounds annoying will we be able just give us the pop up if we want? That was one of the things i hated about windows, forced updates. I really don't want the whole update manager popping up while i am trying to do something.
+1

inobe
April 5th, 2009, 02:36 AM
i did my best on the last post, i wish i could have gotten more information from the user, i guess not.

JK3mp
April 5th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I can raise my hand and blush to the fact that i too have not applied updates at times, learn from mistakes though...its the people that don't learn from mistakes that **** me off! :mad:
But the beautiful thing about linux is you can just fresh install and be at it again no prob. :) .

jpeddicord
April 5th, 2009, 03:31 AM
But the beautiful thing about linux is you can just fresh install and be at it again no prob. :) .

You could say the same about Windows. Doesn't mean it's the best solution. ;)

cariboo
April 5th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I always do the updates on a fresh install before installing the restricted drivers, I haven't had a problem with drivers for years by doing the updates first. I've been running Juanty since the tool chain was released and I am a bit of an update junkie.:) I usually update 3 times a day.

Jim

inobe
April 5th, 2009, 04:33 AM
i am back on that topic, looks like an actual ati mach64 card !

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1116337

i don't know if i can help' but this driver appears to be in the repo.

we shall see.........

------------------------------------------------------------------

the only time i reinstall is when a new release is out and i know for sure it's stable.