PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with necromancing?

MaxIBoy
April 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM
In my opinion, it's preferable to starting duplicate topics.

Why am I wrong?

Eisenwinter
April 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM
You aren't, depending on the case.

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM

Why am I wrong?

Nothing, besides like anything that involves the supernatural it's total BS.

mocoloco
April 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I think bringing back a 50 page thread can be a nightmare to anyone wishing to contribute. In those cases it might be worthwhile to sum up the findings in the first post of a fresh thread, maybe with a link to the old one.

Otherwise in most cases though I do think it's better.

Polygon
April 4th, 2009, 09:44 PM
am i the only one who thought from the topic title he literally meant necromancing, as in raising the dead?

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM
am i the only one who thought from the topic title he literally meant necromancing, as in raising the dead?

No.

Firestem4
April 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM

:-$

Eisenwinter
April 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM
no

:lolflag:

23meg
April 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM

Why am I wrong?

Forums are the kind of medium where immediacy and recency are usually valued higher than history and the information accumulated along it. Different media encourage different kinds of communication, and this is the preferred mode with forums: everyone's immediate agenda is whatever floats on top, and anything that has remained sunken for long enough is either forgotten or considered of less value.

I don't like this fact at all either (actually I have strong reservations about some of the practices it has led to in these forums), but chances are that if you want to participate in a forum at all, it's something you have to live with.

That said, closing old non-support threads that have lost their relevance can be good practice.

bgerlich
If one enjoys the company of liches and zombies, slow decay of ones countenance and turning oneself into a gruesome husk of what was once a person, then no, nothing wrong with necromancy.

N4zgu1

no, i also thought that

Greg
April 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
It really depends on the forum. In some cases, necroing old threads, espescially support ones, is just stupid. In others, you're appending to the conversation. It also has to do with how in date the info is in the thread, IMO.

And of course, policy differs from site to site.

swoll1980
April 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Sometimes it can be taken out of context. Like if I start a thread 18 months ago about how horrible KDE 4 is. I'm referring to KDE 4.0, but someone that sees it on the front page almost 2 years later won't know that.

will1911a1
April 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I know the Mages guild and the folks over in Morrowind don't appreciate it much.

WatchingThePain
April 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM

Nope that's what hooked me in, I assume it means summoning dead spirits. I was just curious to see what the thread was about.

swoll1980
April 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I know the Mages guild and the folks over in Morrowind don't appreciate it much.

The funny part about that was, it was legal, and the necromancers still got pwned for it.

majamba
April 4th, 2009, 11:53 PM
are you kidding so much fun playing necromancer in diablo 2 or wow

Duplicating threads is just wasting time and second doesn't achieve anything except to **** the modders

the problems is that if i still duplicate many threads like 20 i hate drm and securom on ea forums they won't do anything about it

Mehall
April 5th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I don't care about the whole "I thought it was meaning actual necromancing"

my issue is that the word is "necromancy" not "mecromancing" (my previous use was to be of the style other have used.)