PDA

View Full Version : installing gentoo from kubuntu

Specialsauce
January 2nd, 2006, 10:47 PM
is it possible to install gentoo from my kubuntu desktop, because i am using ndiswrapper for my internet connection, which is something that i cant do on the gentoo live CD... i dont really know how to explain this, but i would like to install from inside the KDE environment, at least for the first steps, and i need to rollover my internet connection... jeez.... this is harder to explain than i thought!, well, i guess my point is, can this be done?

Lord Illidan
January 2nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
I think you might be able to do the first steps, by adding config files or editing them from Kubuntu, however what will you do in the compilation? And it is all terminal based, no advantage in using KDE... why would you want to do it?

jdong
January 2nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
A Gentoo install can be done from any Linux distro, so yes, it is. You can emerge all the way to the point where you have a ready-to-use system, with KDE and a kernel, and all you need to do is reboot to the new GRUB/kernel.

Lord Illidan
January 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
A Gentoo install can be done from any Linux distro, so yes, it is. You can emerge all the way to the point where you have a ready-to-use system, with KDE and a kernel, and all you need to do is reboot to the new GRUB/kernel.

Nice... Can you give a link to a howto?