PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Installation

stylusiam
April 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM
edit: see my last post for my current issue. I skipped the live CD and just installed to my hard drive instead (but now my keyboard/mouse do not respond).

I burned the iso and get the splash screen when I boot from the CD. However when I try to run from the cd, or install it doesnt work. I get the loading screen with status bar, and it appears to load fine. But then i either get a blinking cursor (I cant type or do anything) if I try the x64 iso, or I get a blank screen which doesnt respond if i try the x32 iso.

Any suggestions? Right now im running the memory test and it looks ok. My pc specs are:

Opteron 180 (amd 64 x2 ~2.4ghz)
2 gigs ram
nvidia 8600gt

taurus
April 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Did you run the check cd for defects option? How fast did you burn the ISO image?

stylusiam
April 4th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Yes, I ran the cd check and it was ok. I burned it pretty fast, but if that were the case wouldnt the cd check have found any errors?

stylusiam
April 4th, 2009, 09:19 PM
just burnt another disk. Downloaded the torrent this time. Burnt this one at 4x to be safe and still nothing. It loads and I get a blank/black screen and the disk isnt spinning, the system is just idle.

This blows. I had put off trying out linux even though I have wanted to for a couple of years. Now i try and of course its a pain in the rear.

im starting a new job where they use Linux for their OS so i wanted to get some experience with it beforehand, but I guess its not meant to be.

spcwingo
April 4th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Did you try "safe graphics mode"?

stylusiam
April 5th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I tried that as well.

However I decided to try and directly install to my hard drive and it worked... sort of.

Now when I try to boot up I get to the login screen half of the time and my mouse/keyboard do not respond with the cursor blinking. The other half of the time mouse and os freeze and I cant do anything.

Oh and I tried a differnt mouse/keyboard to no avail. They work during bootup, but stop working once I get to the login screen

Im getting closer but not sure what to do from here. Any help is greatly appreciated.