PDA

View Full Version : New Year greetings from a newbie

Lady Owl
January 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
Hi folks,

Here's one more semi-newbie to join the forum. Installed Kubuntu partly yesterday (had KDE running after that)\\:D/, continued today and there's still something to be done.

I have used Linux for some years, but this is the first time I am installing one myself - and I intend to administer it myself, too. Although it seems hard to keep my husbands hands off it... :rolleyes: He's been the admin this far (and I gladly let him do it for the Slackware on the other partition in the future, too). Well, have to admit that some help has been useful, as the installation didn't go the usual way, but I won't go into that right now. I'm no computer expert, though I seem to know more than most my colleagues and can handle Windows relatively well. But still, how will I learn if he solves half of all the problems for me?

Anyway, I'm happy to be here. I think you'll hear of me later on... :cool:

mcduck
January 2nd, 2006, 10:00 PM
welcome!

I'm sure you'll learn quickly how to manage Ubuntu, and if your husband causes troubles just make him a new user account with no administrator privileges ;) If you have any troubles just search this forum or make a new thread and ask. There's also a nice Ubuntu 5.10 Starter Guide (at least in Gnome's help, I don't know about KDE), and online version can be found here (http://makuchaku.info/amnesty/).

Also you may wish to join the Finnish Ubuntu forums too, altough you'll often get better answers faster here as there are more people around. But it's nice that there's a place where you can talk in your native language, it makes things easier sometimes.. http://forum.ubuntu-fi.org/

edit: I almost forgot. Happy New Year for you too :)

Lady Owl
January 2nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
welcome!
Thanks! One nice feature I noticed about this forum already before posting is that you indeed get welcomed :)

if your husband causes troubles just make him a new user account with no administrator privileges ;)
He claims to be able to fix the right files using slack anyway, if he really wants... But he actually promised to let me handle Kubuntu alone after I reach the point where I would already be if it had been a simple installation from the CD. :)

But it's nice that there's a place where you can talk in your native language, it makes things easier sometimes..
So true. Even if you speak other languages fluently.

Sef
January 3rd, 2006, 02:59 AM
Just glad u have decided to learn more about linux itself and not just let others things for you. Makes for a much better experience.