PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to access my CD drive from Ubuntu.

radhakrishna.commerce
April 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my Desktop a month ago. I've just realized that Ubuntu does not recognize my CDRW/DVD drive.

I Installed Ubuntu from within my other OS, Windows 2000.

I am able to access the CDRW/DVD drive from Windows though.

I checked fstab and I don't see an entry for the CD drive at all. Below are the entries in my fstab.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk / ext3 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/host/ubuntu/disks/boot /boot none bind 0 0
/host/ubuntu/disks/home.disk /home ext3 loop 0 2
/host/ubuntu/disks/usr.disk /usr ext3 loop 0 2
/host/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw 0 0

Also attached is the output of "sudo lshw.txt". This too does not show up the CD drive.

How do I fix this issue?

I searched in the forums and I did find some bugs related to this, however these were raised almost a year ago. I wonder if a fix is available.

itix
April 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I have never installed ubuntu from windows, but I must say that your fstab looks really wierd... /host/ubuntu => what the hell??

radhakrishna.commerce
April 6th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Could the "weird" entries in fstab be a problem?

itix
April 6th, 2009, 09:14 AM
To be honest, I don't know. It seams that your folder structure is a bit different than what I am used to. Your disks are a bit oddly mounted but since the system boots, then everything is probably fine. Someone with more windows install experience than me could probably tell you if fstab is supposed to look like that.

Do you have a device called scd0 in your folder /dev?

You can check that by navigating to the root folder ("/") in the file browser and then search through the dev-folder, or by executing the command ls /dev | grep scd0.

radhakrishna.commerce
April 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Thank you for your reply.

Do you have a device called scd0 in your folder /dev?
No. This was one of the first things I checked. The CDRW/DVD device just does not appear anywhere.

However, I do see a directory called /media/cdrom0, but, I guess, that's not my CD. Because one of the things I tried was to insert a CD and access /media/cdrom0 and nothing shows up.

itix
April 6th, 2009, 09:57 AM
No, the folder /media/cdrom0 does not necessarily mean that you have a CD-drive (or that Ubuntu has detected one).

Your hardware check seamed to reveal nothing that would give a hint of detection.

I assume that you can access the CD-drive from windows?

radhakrishna.commerce
April 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I assume that you can access the CD-drive from windows?
Yes. And that's what stumps me.

Ubuntu is able to access USB drives with no problems at all.

Could this be a hardware problem?

itix
April 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
If windows can use it, no.

This is probably due to the fact that the kernel has no driver for the CD-drive. There might be a possibility that there is no driver at all. It would be of great help if you knew the manufacturer.

radhakrishna.commerce
April 6th, 2009, 10:27 AM
My motherboard is Intel-915S. My CD-drive is a Samsung make.

itix
April 6th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I noticed the motherboard in the LSHW-file.

This is what I could find in the hardware libraries. Do you recognize any of these?

http://ubuntuhcl.org/browse/search?offset=0&category=19&manufacturer=235&os=&order-by=&keywords=
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showcat.php/cat/354

radhakrishna.commerce
April 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I am at work now and don't know the exact make. Will let you know once I reach home.

Thanks for all your replies. They are very helpful.

radhakrishna.commerce
April 7th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Thank you for being so patient. My CD is a Samsung OctoEDGE TSSTcorp CDW/DVD SH-M522C.

It is not listed in either of the sites.

I'll try and find the driver for this CD-Drive.