PDA

View Full Version : So how many of you when switching to linux, picked up programming?

blithen
April 4th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I always wanted to get into programming, but when I made the switch to linux I found for some reason I was more inclined to get into programming, so now I know quite a bit about python! What about you guys?

dtoronto
April 4th, 2009, 07:53 AM
seems like it wasn't just programming, but HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL. It's like every time I learn something new I get this daunting feeling like I've only hit the tip of the iceberg.

Mr-Biscuit
April 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Atari, haha!

lisati
April 4th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Already had a little programming, but haven't noticed any major changes since moving to Ubuntu.

mkendall
April 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Atari, haha!

I taught myself BASIC on a TRS-80 before I ever saw an Atari computer.

PEEK and POKE. Great fun.

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Not really.

I know xhtml and css and can do a little bash scripting.

That's all.

I want to learn Python but I don't seem to have the discipline to teach myself.

blithen
April 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Not really.

I know xhtml and css and can do a little bash scripting.

That's all.

I want to learn Python but I don't seem to have the discipline to teach myself.

Well if you ever do get into it, make sure to use it, build stupid little script, 'cause I promise, if you don't use it, you will lose it.

Tomosaur
April 4th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I was already programming before I started using Linux 'full time', but Linux definitely makes it a lot easier to mess about with programming. The fact that everything is open and accessible is amazing for people learning to program - even if they don't want to use Linux full time.

yabbadabbadont
April 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I taught myself BASIC on a TRS-80 before I ever saw an Atari computer.

PEEK and POKE. Great fun.

++

(although you didn't really see that operator at that time... ;))

spupy
April 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I knew a little Java before starting with Linux. Installing the first linux distro on my laptop (some early ubuntu) coincided with the start of university (Informatics). It turned me into a geek. :O

b@sh_n3rd
April 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Ubuntu is quite stable for programming. In my case, i came across on Linux/Ubuntu by doing research on something related to programming. But yeah, Linux kinda influenced me towards programming more too. :D

cmay
April 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
i did learn the first steps on windows. using devcpp as many others do.
i switched to linux and i think it is more advanced and more difficult in the beginning comparedd to windows but when you start to learn the environment linux is a great platform for developers i think. i also have a feeling many proffesionals turn to linux these days. as hobby computer user and occational hobby programmer linux is also great i think. there is lots of sources for studying and all the tools and languages to get started is already available for free.

jimi_hendrix
April 4th, 2009, 12:48 PM
i already knew programming, but linux and PT elevated my skill

Dr Small
April 4th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I had already started learning Php on my Windows box, and then when I switched to Ubuntu/Linux, I began learning it better, along with MySQL, HTML, XHTML, Bash, C, C++, perl, etc..

spupy
April 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Something else: I use Windows to program at work. But when I use Linux for programming, the work is so much more fluid.