PDA

View Full Version : Which is a better program to use?

Desolo_Amour
April 4th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Hi everyone I know this is probably a popular post and I'm sorry if yet another post bothers anyone. I'm a Ubuntu newbie. My fiance has had if for a few months and since my computer crashed and won't let me reinstall windows, even after buying a new hard drive, I've decided to give it a whirl myself. But the thing is I'm a massive music addict and I need a way to use my Ipod with my Ubuntu. I heard of a few programs that'll let me sync and use it and I'm asking for everyone's opinion of which would better fit my needs. I've narrowed it down to two, Banshee and Amarok.

Here is what I have and need it to do... I have a 30GB ipod video (5th generation). I need to be able to store my music, sync my ipod, be able to place music from collection on ipod, store video for ipod, place video on ipod, and create playlists and CD's. I don't buy music I use frostwire or limewire (which I'll be downloading soon) and need to be able to move that into the program I use for my ipod too. Does anyone have an opinion?

SunnyRabbiera
April 4th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Both should do fine, right now I more favor Banshee as Amaork in its KDE4 form sucks.

Desolo_Amour
April 4th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Thank you I appreciate the opinion I think I might try Banshee and see how it goes.

SunnyRabbiera
April 4th, 2009, 04:37 AM
GTKpod might also work, but honestly new generation Ipods stink with linux, as long as Apple denies us their services we cant do anything.
You can try jailbreaking too.

semitone36
April 4th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Personally, I would recommend another program called Songbird.

Its made by Mozilla (the same people responsible for firefox) and its honestly one of the most useful programs on my comp.

Try it out for yourself: http://www.getsongbird.net/

The basic version looks and feels a lot like iTunes but you can download add-ons and skin it to your own personal tastes. The only drawback if you are comming from iTunes is that it doesnt (yet) have a CD rip/burn program but that is something that they are working on.