PDA

View Full Version : How many people here can't even imagine going back to windows?

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 03:50 AM
i fix windows all the time, and know all about it, but i myself can not even pretend to like windows anymore. i am so at home using linux, that i'm pissed i didn't discover it sooner. when i think computers, i think in linux terms, not windows. those days are gone.

and please, don't bash anything. i just want some input from people that feel the same way.

cardinals_fan
April 4th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I wouldn't say that I despise Windows, but it does feel very odd and somewhat inconvienent when I use it. I miss my favorite CLI apps :(

lisati
April 4th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Go back to Windows? I keep Windows lurking around for the convenience of a couple of applications with features I like that I haven't had the patience to find Ubuntu-friendly equivalents for. Other than that, Ubuntu rocks!

laloruelas
April 4th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I can't imagine going back either :)

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I miss my favorite CLI apps :(

heaven forbid you should be without. ;)

as a computer geek, i am completely, and totally entrenched in the ways of linux. i can't go back. it doesn't make sense to me.

and believe it or not, cards fan, i do appreciate a good minimalist distro now and then. i have even done a few command line installs. i'm hip.

SunnyRabbiera
April 4th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I know I cant, I will never use windows fullterm again under pain of death.

Kareeser
April 4th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Bearable... but I tried running Windows XP i virtualbox again just now, and I felt like a foreigner... with only one "panel" at the bottom... :)

FuturePilot
April 4th, 2009, 04:08 AM
as a computer geek, i am completely, and totally entrenched in the ways of linux. i can't go back. it doesn't make sense to me.

Me too. Though when I first started using Linux I never would have dreamed that I would get entrenched in it. :)

I feel much more comfortable in Linux than Windows.

I'm not going back.

bubwitmaingay
April 4th, 2009, 04:10 AM
For 98% of all computers in my country run on windows, one can't help but use it in the office, at school or in the internet cafe. My brother-in-law's computer as well as my father-in-law's run in windows. Luckily, my wife compromised with my preference in using GNU/Linux. She's also learning it.

Worst of all, I teach and tutor computer softwares usage and manipulation which are purely windows, such as ADOBE Photoshop, PageMaker, MS Office Suite. I can't check my students' activity output in my PC at home (except MSOffice and Photoshop which can run in OpenOffice and GIMP respectively). Lately, I was able to attend a training-seminar on AutoCad2009 and I could only guess what command I use for QCad - my training was quite useless (although there is an online guide for QCad). Nonetheless I will never revert my OS now to Windows again.

The best thing that happened to me is I learned to TYPE faster (by learning to use the terminal - whew!) and no more worries of malicious applications that might jeopardize my PC.

8)

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I know I cant, I will never use windows fullterm again under pain of death.

now that's dedication! that's what i'm talking about.

Russell Burrows
April 4th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Windows gifts.
Lets see daily antivirus scans, cringeing when ever a usb is inserted into the computer, complicated UAC, spyware, drm, BSOD, repair shops every six months

Go back to that daily crap.................

Oh Hell NO!!!!

Back to playing with Blender and Hydrogen....................

|Mitch|
April 4th, 2009, 04:20 AM
The only time I ever have to consider Windows, is when I have to run over to my parents house to fix their Dell haunted by XP.

After the lock-ups, updating of virus files, system updates, etc... I am quickly reminded why never again.

sailthesea
April 4th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I do Windows stuff in Windows when I need to But I use Ubuntu the rest of the time because its a better experience Windows feels like a step back but a very good OS for everyday Fine to hate windows but how far would things have come without it?

SunnyRabbiera
April 4th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I do Windows stuff in Windows when I need to But I use Ubuntu the rest of the time because its a better experience Windows feels like a step back but a very good OS for everyday Fine to hate windows but how far would things have come without it?

Well the world could have gone on fine without windows, I suspect we would all be using a variant of OS/2 by now and in a lot of ways OS/2 was far more versatile then Windows.
It was only stagnated by Microsoft, if that never happened OS/2 could have had a good and healthy life.

semitone36
April 4th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Id like to build a rig with a great big HDD (> 1TB) and then dual boot windows 7 and Linux. The windows side would be used by my better-half for her work and also gaming for myself.

But for serious things (like checking email and, well, anything else :)) I can only use linux. Its just....... better.

mamamia88
April 4th, 2009, 04:36 AM
i can never see myself using it as my main os again but i can totally see myself building a gaming rig

AdotB
April 4th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I wouldn't say that I despise Windows, but it does feel very odd and somewhat inconvienent when I use it. I miss my favorite CLI apps :(

I agree. I don't hate Windows. Linux, and Ubuntu specifically, works best for me. I dual boot, but it is just awkward when I do have to boot into it, and I don't get things done as efficiently. I guess I'm just not used to it any more.

bigbrovar
April 4th, 2009, 04:52 AM
dude i just cant imagine going back to windows.. i would probably die for a lack of package manager for a start

inobe
April 4th, 2009, 04:55 AM
i just couldn't go back simply because i found it to be totally unneeded.

i understand now, i know what to do and the way i want it, no one could take that away from me..

gates is smoking rocks if he thinks i will agree to another eula, in fact he's smoking boulders.

blastus
April 4th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Windows is dead to me.

blackened
April 4th, 2009, 05:22 AM
About once every two years or so I install Windows on my laptop to see if it has gotten any better since the last time I tried it. However, I always find that it's still just not ready for primetime yet: only some of my hardware works out of the box, and for that that doesn't I have to scour the internet and pray that someone has written a driver for it; viruses and malware abound forcing me to run tons of extra software just to protect the OS from itself thus eating up resources unnecessarily.

One of these days the devs will listen to their user base and realize that people might actually want to use their computers instead of having to tinker with them all the time. Until that day comes, I'll continue to use Linux.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Windows gifts.
Lets see daily antivirus scans, cringeing when ever a usb is inserted into the computer, complicated UAC, spyware, drm, BSOD, repair shops every six months

Go back to that daily crap.................

Oh Hell NO!!!!

Back to playing with Blender and Hydrogen....................

let's keep this civil. ;)

lykwydchykyn
April 4th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I couldn't go back. Well, maybe if I got out of tech support, and generally purged myself of all things computer for a few years, and then got a computer solely for some specific application that Windows did well. But that's speculation, I can't imagine really wanting to use Windows.

Right now I just get frustrated when I use it. I want to punch things every time I see that logo and the words "Please wait...".

NET WT
April 4th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I no longer have any desire to use Windows. I kind of miss Windows Movie Maker though. :guitar:

regonzal
April 4th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I fixed two Vista computers this week, and that was enough to remind me why I wouldn't use the OS on my personal machine. Like many have said here, Linux just feels 'right'.

Giant Speck
April 4th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I hop back and forth every now and then. It all depends on what is interesting me at the time.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM
One of these days the devs will listen to their user base and realize that people might actually want to use their computers instead of having to tinker with them all the time. Until that day comes, I'll continue to use Linux.

well said. :guitar:

inobe
April 4th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I no longer have any desire to use Windows. I kind of miss Windows Movie Maker though. :guitar:

will never miss it, i did like the ability to reach for my wallet to purchase something that actually worked "sarcasm"

:)

Ericyzfr1
April 4th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I keep an old HD with XP on it in case I need to reformat my ipod database (Itunes 7.6) for Banshee.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I couldn't go back. Well, maybe if I got out of tech support, and generally purged myself of all things computer for a few years, and then got a computer solely for some specific application that Windows did well. But that's speculation, I can't imagine really wanting to use Windows.

Right now I just get frustrated when I use it. I want to punch things every time I see that logo and the words "Please wait...".

:lolflag: :lolflag: :guitar:

get used to it.

toupeiro
April 4th, 2009, 07:20 AM
There is no motivation for me to go back. Why buy bottled milk when I get the dairy for free?? Windows hasn't offered anything in years worthy of its price tag in my opinion, and I am completely done with the mind numbing worm attacks and exploits and all the software you NEED to run for it not to crumble. I'll support it at work, but it has no place on my own systems anymore.

netwarriorwy
April 4th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I'm using Linux for 8 months so far, and its amazing how this OS has improved in the last 5 years, Ubuntu simple rocks! I only use XP in virtualbox to format some .doc files before sending them and to use Rational Rose Enterprise and MS Project because I can't find tools as complete as these for Linux. For the rest of things I use my Ubuntu...I'm starting to love the terminal btw :p .

I'm not going back and that's for sure

Irihapeti
April 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I would use Windows on someone else's pc if it was the only way of getting some essential (paid) job done. But whenever I think of the possibility of ever having to reinstall it on my own pc, I get a mild attack of the shudders.

blackened
April 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I would use Windows on someone else's pc if it was the only way of getting some essential (paid) job done. But whenever I think of the possibility of ever having to reinstall it on my own pc, I get a mild attack of the shudders.

Maybe you have a virus. *buh-dum-pum*

inobe
April 4th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Maybe you have a virus. *buh-dum-pum*

come on ?

viruses are overrated ~ dns up for grabs :lolflag:

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
i fix windows all the time, and know all about it, but i myself can not even pretend to like windows anymore. i am so at home using linux, that i'm pissed i didn't discover it sooner. when i think computers, i think in linux terms, not windows. those days are gone.

and please, don't bash anything. i just want some input from people that feel the same way.

I felt the same way.

However the last few days I've been on Windows 7 without wanting too (don't ask why) and it's ok.

I was expecting worse.

--

I can still deal with Vista, but don't put me near a XP machine. Those things just make my blood boil. Old piece of ****.

Barrucadu
April 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I went from "OMG Linux sucks!" to "OMG Windows sucks" in about a week. I can't imagine using Windows at home any more. I can barely cope at school without multiple workspaces…

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I went from "OMG Linux sucks!" to "OMG Windows sucks" in about a week. I can't imagine using Windows at home any more. I can barely cope at school without multiple workspaces…

Don't confuse Windows with the explorer shell.

Getting mutliple workspaces in Windows is easy.

thisllub
April 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
There are about 10 Sharepoint developer jobs for every PHP job ad and they pay double.
.NET jobs are an even higher ratio.
After 4 years virtually Windows free I have just run up a Windows machine again.
It is depressing but for the time being I have little choice.

With PHP / Linux the application is more complex than the editor, with VStudio it is the opposite.

GeneralZod
April 4th, 2009, 10:26 AM
While I use Windows at work, I really can't conceive of a situation in which I'd switch back to using it at home instead of Linux. I don't even dislike Windows: I just much, much prefer Linux+KDE.

Bölvaður
April 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
o/ me me me

I cannot imagine. I see no point in using Windows, therefore I cannot

spupy
April 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I'm addicted to Linux. Windows just doesn't cut it anymore - weak stuff. :)
And thinking how much time I put into playing with Linux until it is perfect for me, I really don't want to lose the same amount of time for Windows.

WatchingThePain
April 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Nobody would ever drag me back to that.
I'm into evolution..not devolution.

Naiki Muliaina
April 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I installed Windows a while ago as it gos. My intention was to have it there incase i needed it. It got booted once whereby i installed a stack of updates and set up a fire wall, anti virus and made a non root user account. Thats about all i did on it.... A week later Xubuntu Jaunty alpha was released and the windows partition got formated.

Up to Hardys Alphas, i was mainly windows. I dabbled in Linux for a good 3 years before Hardys Alpha's. Much though i love Ubuntu and Linux in general of nowdays, old Ubuntu sucked, and the other distros that interest me were still in heavy development. Windows was just better for me. I didnt have time to learn a new OS that broke regularly or i didnt 'get'.

Nowdays however Xubuntu works far better for me than windows ever has (even from the Hardy alphas). I had so many issues with Vista every time i tried it, that is an OS even Microsoft should be ashamed of. I did quite like XP, but i feel safer and more comfortable with Xubuntu.

After a year where i have only used Windows once, right now, i cannot imagine going back to Windows. But who knows, 4 years ago i couldn't imagine being 100% Linux ^^

cmay
April 4th, 2009, 12:19 PM
honest i do look for alternatives to linux even i cant find any system that feels so right for me. i know i cant ever use windows anymore and i have given the trashcan my legal copy of windows xp and i know i will never buy a windows computer again.

i have not even seen a windows computer for a long time and i think its about two years ago i saw a pc that was running windows. the library has one i think.

i look for other systems than linux since i know that a mac will be very expensive for me to buy so if for any reason i need to switch from linux i need to know where to find something else. thats why i am OS hopping more than i am distro hopping.

rudihawk
April 4th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I can, I have to use Windows on a daily basis - espicailly for the CAD software I use.

Eisenwinter
April 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
now that's dedication! that's what i'm talking about.
"Dedication"?

Give me a break... pathetic...

dragos240
April 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I can imagine going back to windows, but I wouldn't unless i had to.

b@sh_n3rd
April 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Well, I still use windows on at least ONE of my computers coz I wanna play a few games on them. I'm still thinking of changing to Ubuntu totally but some emulators don't seem to support my games. Anyway, I dont' think I can stand to return to windows, if ever I switch to Ubuntu totally. Windows is soo aggravating and annoying.

WatchingThePain
April 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
honest i do look for alternatives to linux even i cant find any system that feels so right for me. i know i cant ever use windows anymore and i have given the trashcan my legal copy of windows xp and i know i will never buy a windows computer again.

i have not even seen a windows computer for a long time and i think its about two years ago i saw a pc that was running windows. the library has one i think.

i look for other systems than linux since i know that a mac will be very expensive for me to buy so if for any reason i need to switch from linux i need to know where to find something else. thats why i am OS hopping more than i am distro hopping.

Have you tried Unix?

Barrucadu
April 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Don't confuse Windows with the explorer shell.

Getting mutliple workspaces in Windows is easy.

I can't really change the shell at school though :P

PuddingKnife
April 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Wierd .. we have same birthday and I was born exactly 10 years before you. I like your site lol :D

Flyingjester
April 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I use windows when i wanna play flash games for an extended period of time... for some reason in ubuntu it runs sluggish if i'm doing anything real action oriented. other than that i use straight ubuntu.

Christmas
April 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Me neither. Although sometimes Linux can give me headaches (especially applications build in an amateurish manner), I'd never switch back to Windows, ever. I like the freedom the user has on this operating system, its flexibility, but the most important thing, the way it is build and the power of command-line.

linux4life88
April 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I just got a new laptop because my old one broke. On my old laptop I had Ubuntu running for a year and half and it was the only operating system on it. That means for a year and a half I ran nothing but Ubuntu. But now with my new laptop it is a pretty good at gaming and so I've decided to give Vista a try (never used it before). I have to tell, I much prefer Ubuntu and would chose it over Vista (or any other Windows operating system for that matter).

jmszr
April 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I can't imagine intentionally giving up my freedom from all things Microsoft.

linux4life88
April 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I can't imagine intentionally giving up my freedom from all things Microsoft.

Believe me, being Microsoft free is not a bad thing. When I got my new laptop, Microsoft was trying to update itself and crashed. Was a great first impression of Vista. I never once had Ubuntu crash on me.

calvinps
April 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Well, I use Wubi on my computer, which runs on Windows Vista. I would use Ubuntu for a few things, and I use Windows for browsing the internet and that.

I had to reinstall it once because it kept playing up, but my previous install had my wi-fi driver in it. Now my dad's binned the ethernet cable so I cant re download it :( lol.

Ubuntu is way better than Windows. In fact, Ubuntu itself may be better than most other Linux distros.

I am building a new computer just the now, so when it's done I will be running it on Ubuntu. Full time. :D

will1911a1
April 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I still use Windows every day at work. If I had a compelling reason to switch back at home I would, but Linux works fine for now.

speedwell68
April 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I have to use XP at work, that is what my employer wants. We do have one or two Windows only apps. I am in the process of starting my own business and all the PCs I use will be Ubuntu. I do have XP installed on my main PC and my Laptop, just for checking websites in IE 6/7/8 and for writing discs on my Sony Minidisc.

GreyGeek
April 4th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I have to use XP at work, that is what my employer wants.

I retired June 13th, 2008 after a career of teaching, consulting and programming. I began programming in 1960 when I attended Barnes School of Business to study "Data Processing" on IBM hardware. Back then, programming was plugging banana cables between the slots connections and the central ground board on IBM 402 tabulators. My first actual programming language class was "Numerical Analysis" in grad school, during the spring of 1968, using Fortran 4. We spent most of our time typing and retyping the solution to a quadratic equation onto rolls of yellow paper tape using a KSE-130 keyboard at about 2-3 cps. It took an entire semester to do about 3 of those problems. The school I was at was paying $1,500/mo for 1500 bytes of core on a CDC6600 (it cost $6.6M) mainframe in Austin, TX, and were "borrowing" the bank's Burroughs machines to connect to Austin and submit problems.

Over the years I have learned and used over a dozen languages and studied more. I ran my own consulting/programming business for nearly 18 years. My last client, a state agency, gave me an offer I couldn't (actually my wife wouldn't let me) refuse.

The last language I learned was C++, four years ago. I learned to use Qt4 at the same time. They are a wonderful combination. The QT4 widget set is the kind of GUI tool I used to use when I wrote custom software for my clients. My workstation was running XP with MS VC 6.0++/QT4 integration. The combo was OK, but I also had my Linux partition and a Linux server running PostgreSQL, to which I connected remotely. I used PostgreSQL as a standin for Oracle. Because MSVC took so long to compile the apps I switched my development to my Linux partition using KATE as the editor. Compilation was easily 10 times faster. Using compiler defines I was able to code for both the Linux and Windows platform and for both Oracle and PostgreSQL in one set of sources. A couple switches determined which platform the binary was for.

Now, wouldn't you know it, AFTER I RETIRE, the tool QtCreator is released. I wish I had it four years ago. With tools like C++/QT4/QtCreator on Linux I don't understand why some insist on using MONO or Java. Especially MONO. Every line in MONO is a victory for Microsoft, and the more dependent a distro becomes on MONO the more it is dependent on Microsoft. In that direction lies madness.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I do have XP installed on my main PC and my Laptop, just for checking websites in IE 6/7/8 and for writing discs on my Sony Minidisc.

you can do that in virtualbox. a vbox install is a real install ya know. plus, if you run seamless mode and autohide the windows taskbar, you can run windows apps as if they were native to linux, without ever having to see the windows part of it.

Fenris_rising
April 4th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I have been using ubuntu for 11 months now. HH 8.04 on my main PC and easy peasy (8.10) on my eeepc. Though the latter is being given over to jaunty NB edition at the moment but may yet find itself turned into a frisbee if it continues to play up (the eeepc not jaunty)

I have in fact just decommissioned my 7 year old XP laptop as it kept shutting down due to overheat in the DC input area (so bad a solder joint had failed) So I am now a 100% Linux user.

No going back for me! Despite recent sudden problems with my installs :D it's just to much like good fun being this free ;)

regards

Fenris

Mason Whitaker
April 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Can't even imagine it, blood would shoot out of my eyes.

cubeist
April 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I didn't come from windows, I came from mac; (that's a weird sentence!) and I will never go back. Once you experience the freedom of open-source, it is impossible to wrap your head around using a computer solely according to how others designed it.
So if I won't go back to mac, obviously there is no reason why I would ever go with windows either!

lavy
April 4th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hy,

I switched to Ubuntu 8 months ago. My old Windows computer managed to get a bios virus. The computer was very old and I wanted a new computer, so it was a perfect excuse to buy one.

On my new computer I decided to give Linux a chance so I installed Linux as my only OS. I asked a friend of mine, who was a Ubuntu user, to fill me with the application that I need to make the transition easier.

He gave me a list of programs and told me that I can install them using sudo apt-get install ...

I was hooked :) Install all that with one command. I love the command line; I do some operations only from command line.

I love Ubuntu. I plan to buy myself a laptop and install Ubuntu.
At home I'm not going back to Windows, but unfortunately at work I have to use XP :(

befana
April 4th, 2009, 07:45 PM
For me Windows is equivalent to waiting: “Please wait this, please wait that” - wait, wait and all my time is wasted waiting while running Windows... Bzzzzzzzzzzz... I have no time for waiting some zeros and ones to find their places, I have a work to do...No way go back to Windows. Never again.
Unfortunately at work I have to use Windows and it is awful – I hate it! I know every OS deserves respect but working with Windows is a nightmare.

txtinman
April 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I haven't had windows on my computer since 2001. Why would I go back?

Snappo
April 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM
dude i just cant imagine going back to windows.. i would probably die for a lack of package manager for a start

+1

Not only that Windows just feels messy... especially the desktop (XP).

WatchingThePain
April 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM
If I was trapped on a desert island..and all I had was a laptop and a windows disc.....I would write sos on the disc and chuck it in the sea.

woppy71
April 4th, 2009, 08:02 PM
If I was trapped on a desert island..and all I had was a laptop and a windows disc.....I would write sos on the disc and chuck it in the sea.

LOL! nice one.....

but to get it to float, you would probably need to install the "Floating disk" update....:lolflag:

mkendall
April 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Nobody would ever drag me back to that.
I'm into evolution..not devolution.

"We're all Devo."

WatchingThePain
April 4th, 2009, 08:27 PM
"We're all Devo."

I don't understand. Plz join a few more dots.

oldos2er
April 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM

The last version of Win* I used was 3.1, so obviously there's no going back!

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM

Lol

Not that I believe that for even one second.

WatchingThePain
April 4th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Brother..you have no faith!.

pt123
April 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I used to feel like that but if Gnome act like MS
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7013877&postcount=44
I might as well go back to the real deal.

Methuselah
April 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I'm contented with linux.
I'll certainly never use windows exclusively again.

WatchingThePain
April 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I used to feel like that but if Gnome act like MS
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7013877&postcount=44
I might as well go back to the real deal.

What's this I hear compiz is dying?..Is this true?.

Mehall
April 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I just rebooted into Linux after having played games for the last day or so.

(I got Battle-field Hereos beta key : D)

And yeah, whenever I was just browsing the web, I kept hitting F12 for yakuake, or win+T for terminal, Alt+F2 for gmrun, etc, etc.

And that was WITH bumptop (also got that beta) ont he desktop!!

SomeGuyDude
April 4th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I could imagine it. Windows 7 beta is pretty slick, far as Windows goes. And it'd be nice to be able to use Audible and games.

dtoronto
April 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM
At first it was a little wierd switching over to linux, and even more so when I started using the CLI. Now I feel like I have so much more controll over my OS that going back feels like wearing chains.

rmayer32
April 5th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Vista still exists on 1 desktop at home due to my wife and daughter. I always feel real odd when I sit down at that thing. Only other windows used for me is XP at work.

I would not want to go back full time. Linux has gained so much over the last few years that it is more then good enough for me.

mkendall
April 5th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I don't understand. Plz join a few more dots.

We must repeat.

Ok, Let's go! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUrT0M_XGZE&feature=related)

Tamlynmac
April 5th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Windows? What's that a new operating system I haven't heard about? Is it a new Linux distro? :lolflag:

Over two years ago I installed Ubuntu and within a few weeks all of home systems were running the new OS. Many of my family and friends switched shortly after interacting with one of our systems. Since that time my only direct contact with Windows is seeing the commercials on TV (which are generally muted).

Can I imagine returning to Windows? For what purpose? We have a free, fully functioning and upgradeable operating system that meets all our requirements. Returning to Windows would be like having someone remove your fingernails one at a time and pouring salt on the wounds. No Thanks

MaxCarnage
April 5th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I have to use Windows because of work, so I will always be using it I imagine. I of course prefer my Ubuntu machines at home. I have played around with the idea of putting Ubuntu on my work computers, but I work for the military (civilian) and don't want to deal with the hassle.

I will also probably always have a VBox install of Windows for the one or two things that I want to use and have no alternatives for, like iTunes for the paid podcasts. It's a matter of convenience, and I rarely use it, but it's nice being there when I need it.

cmay
April 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Have you tried Unix?
if open-solaris and solaris 10 counts i have.
i like it very much. i also like bsd even that i dont use it very often. i used desktop bsd a couple of month. i would like to try a commecial unix sometime.

Northsider
April 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Windows certainly has its issues, but for me I go back to it all the time. I switch between ubuntu and vista daily. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, they serve different purposes.

chris200x9
April 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
no, I am lost without a terminal even though I hardly ever use it it is like my security blanket when I am on windows I *almost* go into a panic attack. True story....

AndyCooll
April 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I've been using Linux since 2005.

I recently bought a laptop with Vista pre-installed. And though I've left Vista on (after all I've paid for it), I soon installed Ubuntu. And it is Ubuntu I prefer and use all the time.

:cool:

bubwitmaingay
April 12th, 2009, 01:39 AM

I agree with that. I think GNU/Linux developers worldwide worked hard to create a Desktop Environment for the OS. If Windows did not revolutionized Desktop capabilities, then we are still in the LUI (although I like the LUI because it is faster but I also love to watch something, you know). All said, I still owe something from MS Windows because I learned to use the computer with the OS, but sometimes we have to leave something behind, no matter how valuable they have been to us.

Goodbye MS Windows, until everything will be fine in you, I'm staying with Tux. 8)