PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with these 2 computers?

Newuser1111
April 4th, 2009, 03:27 AM
They both don't have a Hard Drive.(But I have a 6GB, 10GB,and 20GB hard drives not being used if any of those will work.)
They both don't have any CD drives, Just a Floppy drive in each one.
They both have an Ethernet port!

1: Dell OptiPlex GL 5100. I know it has 100Mhz CPU. Not sure about RAM but I guess 24MB.
2: Dell OptiPlex 433/Le. I know it has 50MHz CPU, and 8MB of RAM.

These are the only ideas I have for now:

Put the Tandy back in the Closet and put one of the Dells where the Tandy was.
Leave both Dells on the floor somewhere in my room.(Probably in a corner or under the bed.)
Put the Dells in the closet.(If they can fit in the Tandy's boxes)
Ask my brother if he wants them.(When he gets back on Monday.)(but he might not want them.)

Picture attached.

(Please don't tell me to destroy them like you were with the Packard Bell.)

semitone36
April 4th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Hahahaha sync their cpu's and the hdds and you might have the same specs as an ipod video! :lol:

EDIT:
Seriously though. I think its time to let them die.

MaxIBoy
April 4th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I'll take 'em.

Seriously though, I'd set both of 'em up with hard drives and a Debian minimal setup (try Debian net-install without picking any packages from the repo.) Then, keep them lying around until your main computer breaks and you need a spare.

I've had times where all three of my computers have been messed up at the same time, and a spare would've come in handy.

vegetarianshrimp
April 4th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Take the two bigger hard drives, install Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux, and sell them on ebay for $50 each!

andrewabc
April 4th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Throw them out. Not worth using or storing.

sailthesea
April 4th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Take out the juicy bits, drive the rest to the tip and have look round when you get there You'll probably find something you could put the 20GB drive in as a good system drive and get it networked with your etho card
As long as you can boot a cd/usb/or even floppy of ubuntu something should work
Haven't got it? make it!

undead-monkey
April 4th, 2009, 03:56 AM
My cutoff for old computers is 333mhz. anything slower than that isnt worth my time.

Wintervenom
April 4th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I'd take them, too, because I want to start a back-up server for my dorm. People aren't so great about backing stuff up around here, and there's already been two or three incidents of people losing their entire systems, so maybe a free back-up server would be a little incentive.

All I need are the machines and another drive. :P

Newuser1111
April 4th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I'll take 'em.

I'd take them, too,
No.

Kopachris
April 4th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Buy some new HDDs, install Arch, and say data server.

Pogeymanz
April 4th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Running those machines would just be a huge waste of power. Old computers were very inefficient.

FLMKane
April 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Dont just throw the out. Recycle them.

toupeiro
April 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
+1 on recycling... gold is gold...

Mr-Biscuit
April 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM
There is an old version of linux that fits on a floppy and an old xorg "tinyx" that together use 5M of ram. Use them.
I'm amazed that no one here even thought of this.

Sylslay
April 4th, 2009, 09:17 AM
1) Use as alarm clock with nice mp3 songs.
2)Use as termnal for Yours other computers in network
3) Set Up for dowload movies, use Transmission and live it On, so You dont use Yours main-frame sysem :-)))))))))

PS.The most easy distro to run,for me, and fastest was SLAX, but I am not sure you can install it from LAN, so need borrow IDE CDROM from Yours brother.

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 09:42 AM
They did their work, let them die with grace.

WatchingThePain
April 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM
100mhz is the more 'powerfull'?. Do you need them taking up your space?.

"Puppy has been tested on a few very old machines but the best results for the standard release of Puppy Linux to run at a reasonable pace have been achieved with the following:

CPU : Pentium 166MMX
RAM : 128 MB physical RAM for releases since version 1.0.2 or failing that a Linux swap file and/or swap partition is required for all included applications to run; 64 MB for releases previous to 1.0.2
Hard Drive : None
CDROM : 20x and up"

Source:http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/hardware/general/minreq

Perhaps an older version would work if you fancy trying it.

If nothing else, you could turn them upside down and plant flowers in them though.;)

jimi_hendrix
April 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
beowulf cluster

Newuser1111
April 4th, 2009, 02:37 PM
For now, they are just sitting under the bed until I find a better use.

ugm6hr
April 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
For now, they are just sitting under the bed until I find a better use.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they are capable of anything useful in the modern world.

I gave away a P2 with 48MB RAM over 2 years ago (with DSL), since I thought that was a lost cause then. Now I wouldn't think twice about it.

It is probably the RAM rather than CPU that limits options; even modern network solutions (e.g. FreeNAS) require more than 24MB RAM.

linuxisevolution
April 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM
My router is more powerful than both, and it was $50.

I would use Xwoaf linux (floppy distro) and use the hard drive as storage and use it as a back up machine. Put it in your corner or something. It might make an ok apache setup too... You could run a website from the faster one.

The older one should be recycled.