PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Transferring my Ubunu Install to Another Computer

seagullplayer77
April 4th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Currently, I'm running my Website (http://www.nwftandt.selfip.org/) off of an old Dell Dimension that has a LAMP stack and Joomla! installed on it. My mom's company is downsizing and she was able to procure a newer, better computer that she's giving me to use as a Web server. Thing is, I'd REALLY like to be able to keep all of my Website config files (Apache, mySQL, PHP, Joomla, etc.) when I make the switch, but I don't really know how I'd go about doing it. I'm planning on installing Ubuntu on the new machine too, obviously, but after that, I'm lost.

I thought about just swapping hard drives with the new machine, but I'm guessing that'll probably cause some hardware problems (or maybe not?). If I set up my old hard drive (the one with Ubuntu and the server configs) as a slave on the new machine, would that work? Is there some other way of transferring my data to the new computer? I read that copying /etc and /home would probably keep the majority of the settings the same, but I'm not sure that's a sure-fire plan.

Anyone have any advice?

seagullplayer77
April 4th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I just had a thought...if I put Ubuntu on the hard drive of the new machine and hooked up my current drive as a slave, would GRUB pick up the Ubuntu installation on the slaved HD?

I'd save a ton of trouble if it did!

seagullplayer77
April 4th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Bump