PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing from Windows XP -- what went wrong?

NCallahan
April 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'm attempting to install Ubuntu 8.10 on a machine with Windows XP. I took the CD option to "Install inside Windows", which I understood would still allow me to boot straight to Ubuntu after turning my computer on. It ran the checksum without any problems, then prompted to select how much space I wanted to allocate for Ubuntu. I selected 8 gigs, which, having read through some threads here, I'm coming to understand isn't enough space.

When I booted to Ubuntu, it took me to the installer and asked me how I wanted to partition my drive. It shows that XP takes up 94% of the drive, while Ubuntu has 5%. It hasn't given me the option to resize the partitions; rather, the second "Guided" option simply says it will use all available free space. Regardless, when I hit 'next', I got a pop-up saying that there wasn't enough room, which locks up the installer.

Now, I know I've been rather feckless about things thus far and unfortunately, I don't have all the system information that I should. But if I can narrow things down to the following questions-

1.) What should ideally happen when you install from windows?

2.) If I try to run the Ubuntu installation again, what will happen to the 8 gigs already allocated? Is there someway to reclaim them before trying again?