PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64 bit??

fillintheblank
April 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
I have an Intrepid Ibex cd already, and i just bought a computer with a 64 bit processor. My question is does the install program automatically install 64 or 32 respectively, or will i have to download a new installer??

logic++
April 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
No it doesn't. The cd has either the 32 or the 64 bit version. It depends on you which one you want to have installed since you can install any of these.

If you don't want to face any strange issues brought by specific hardware 32 bit is the road to go.

But since your pc has the 64 processor, why not take advantage of it or even better give developers motives to work on 64bit programming...

It is really up to you...

lisati
April 3rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
The 64-bit processor can run the 32-bit version of Ubuntu.

As logiv++ pointed out, using the 64-bit version (usually downloaded separately) can be a good idea, but there's a small chance that some things might need a little extra work to get working. This can happen when there isn't a 64-bit version of a program or device driver readily available.

I use the 64-bit version of Ubuntu on two machines, and so far haven't run into any problems that prevented the system working.

If there are any issues that arise if you choose the 64-bit version, I'm sure that someone from the forums will be able to offer suggestions.