PDA

View Full Version : Forced to use Windows XP

wildman4god
April 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for a year and a half now and it just keeps getting better, however I now reside at a Job Corps Campus in Edison, NJ. Now for those of you who don't know what Job Corps is, it is a free vocational training program set up by the department of labor to help disadvantaged young adults get training to enter the work force. Anywho the center I am at uses a program called cisco trust agent to authenticate computers on the network to allow them access. But the kicker is it only works on windows, they have a version for red hat but it doesn't work on Ubuntu even with alien. So for me to get online I have to use windows and from what I have seen with Ubuntu, it is great as long as you have direct access to the internet otherwise it's a real pain to do anything with it. My question is if I get someone the red hat version is their a chance we can get it to work on Ubuntu or otherwise by pass network security so I can get online with Ubuntu.

lisati
April 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Your question at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1066497&highlight=cisco+trust+agent has been noticed

wildman4god
April 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Your question at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1066497&highlight=cisco+trust+agent has been noticed

OK so is anyone going to help, because no one has posted on my last post.

mamamia88
April 3rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
you could buy a copy of red hat maybe

smartboyathome
April 3rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
you could buy a copy of red hat maybe

Or use CentOS.
Or possibly even Fedora.
:)

Dr Small
April 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
I don't see how the program would work for Redhat and not ubuntu...

Kareeser
April 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
Ugh, I hate the Cisco program. See if you can run it in WINE.

Other than that, your only recourse is to complain to the tech manager and see if he can get an exception for you.

smartboyathome
April 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
I don't see how the program would work for Redhat and not ubuntu...

It could be a wrong library version (Ubuntu libraries are generally newer than Red Hat's depending on the release), a different location for a library, or even a library being named differently.

wildman4god
April 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
I converted it from and rpm to a deb using alien and it did install but it didn't start and i don't know how to start it, I could try fedora, but i was wondering, the trust agent authenticates using certificates, and I noticed that the network manager has a place for certificates but I don't know how to configure it properly, is there a tutorial on that because we managed to extract the certificate from the program we just need to know how to add it to the network manager. any ideas?

Edit: I tried wine and no it doesn't work.