PDA

View Full Version : Internet Usage Statistics?

Trzone
April 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Is there a place that has monthly or even yearly internet data usage (GB, etc) for the US?

I am concerned about my data usage due to an upcoming data consumption based billing through my ISP (road runner)

Sunflower1970
April 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Ahh. You're in a test area too, huh? I'm in Austin. Seems there's a grass roots effort to try and stop this from happening :) We even have two Mayorial candidates weigh in on this and they're quite upset...

This weekend I'm putting Tomato firmware on my router which has a monitor in it. (but I'll be switching over to either Earthlink or AT&T later this summer once the caps are in place)

sloggerkhan
April 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
you can run vnstat on your box to monitor bandwidth usage, It's pretty easy and pretty useful. If you search google or these forums, you can find more info.

It's basically a sort of background daemon that updates a database of amount of data sent periodically. Show sent and received, lets you sort by week, month, day, hour, etc. Very simple and useful command line utility. I think someone has even created an addon to display graphs of its data in a web browser.

Trzone
April 3rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I'm in Rochester, supposedly they are collecting statistics on everyone, to inform them and then giving said statistics to the customers so they can decide on their plan.

Vnstat -m is a highly useful tool, however i would like to see what the Average american uses, or any trends, etc. Probably there is no statistical data, however if anyone can find any data on this, then that would be most beneficial. I have absolutely never monitored my bandwidth, my usage is erratic and sometimes I download tons of live cds to test them virtually :lolflag:

Lately i've been watching shows from sling, and I use youtube often.

Sunflower1970
April 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
You can check out www.stoptwc.info for more info and links for some info on what's happening.

TWC will be giving us some sort of gague on their site where we can log in to see how much we're using. Should be later this month, according to some of the twitters I've read from TWC staff.