PDA

View Full Version : Linux version of your Favourite App

Ascenti0n
April 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
If commercial software developers ported to Linux your favourite app, so that you could buy and run it natively on Ubuntu (or any Linux distro), what license would they use?

Sealbhach
April 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Depends too on whether the source code is open.

cotcot
April 3rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
I do not have favourite apps in another OS than Linux.
I am very happy with Gimp, Blender, Smile, Firefox, Thunderbird, Avidemux, Cinelerra, OOo, Audacity, Devede, Handbrake, QCAD, ... .

Simian Man
April 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
I have no idea what you're asking. But it is possible to release proprietary, closed-source applications for Linux.

billgoldberg
April 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
I do not have favorite apps in another OS than Linux.

Same here.

asuastrophysics
April 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
uhhhhh WINAMP!!

i agree with the post above, but not for music. i've tried every music program out there and i really miss winamp. XMMS is not the same.

oh i pray to god everyday that nullsoft will port it over...

- and yeah i've used it in wine and it isn't practical

smbm
April 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Same here.

"

abyssius
April 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Not sure what you're asking exactly, but an open-source equivalent to Sony Vegas Video would be greatly appreciated here. Linux-based professional-level digital video editing software still seems to be in need of development, although digital audio software has come a long way...

Sealbhach
April 3rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
A lot of people would want Photoshop.

perlluver
April 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
I would have to say Adobe Premier, and the software for the Play Globecaster.

Ascenti0n
April 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
I was actually asking about licenses, sorry if I was confusing.

I want to ask what license a closed source software would have to use to be usable on an open source platform like Ubuntu. Can both live side by side?

Dekkon
April 3rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
A decent media player.

abyssius
April 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM

I want to ask what license a closed source software would have to use to be usable on an open source platform like Ubuntu. Can both live side by side?

Flash, RealPlayer, Java, Acrobat, NVIDIA drivers, etc. etc. Aren't these all closed-source software installable on Linux systems? I think their respective websites display license info.

Murrquan
April 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM

Technically, yes, but I prefer to use open-source apps out of pure practicality. I have no idea what's in the code to closed-source apps, and I can't help out with their development or provide patches or anything. Plus, even if a closed app costs me no money to download, I have no assurance that it'll always be that way, or that it won't someday start using its own file formats or break compatibility or something. That's why I use F-Spot instead of Picasa, and AbiWord instead of Lotus Symphony.

If I could have any app ported to Linux, though, I'd want a native Ubuntu version of Final Fantasy XI and the PlayOnline Viewer. >.>

gcvisel
April 3rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Uh... Microsoft Flight Simulator. Flight Gear has a LONG way to go.

Tibuda
April 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM

I want to ask what license a closed source software would have to use to be usable on an open source platform like Ubuntu. Can both live side by side?I think they can have any license they want. I'm not sure, but copyleft licenses like GPL only requires you to release your source code if you compile any GPLed code.

t.rei
April 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Honestly, I'd love to see Nvidia releasing a proper driver that supports randr1.3

Other than that... maybe a few more good games, but they work... thanks wine.

theuninvitedguest
April 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
DSpace, Matlab, Maple. Although they're avaiable for Linux, I'm not happy with the Java interfaces, especially in Matlab Simulink...

CraigPaleo
April 3rd, 2009, 09:21 PM

Yes. Closed source software can even use LGPL libraries such as GTK/gnome libs and Qt/ KDE libs (4.5 I believe) I believe Nero (http://www.nero.com/enu/linux3.html) does this with GTK.

The LGPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html) allows us to have more options than strictly free software. This can benefit both users and developers where there is a demand that's not met by free software. Nero does nothing for me that free software can't but if I didn't have flash, or my NVIDIA drivers, I wouldn't be using Linux.

Skorzen
April 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Once I had some applications that won't run in GNU/Linux boxes, but as long as I know more about this 'little' world, I find it hard to miss any application from another OS.

For example, at some time ago, I missed SRS Audio Sandbox, which is a piece of software that boosts your audio quality in any Windows machine. What I found as an (great) alternative was two libraries that can be added to audacious, so you can increase the sound quality of your music, video, and more.