PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] clean package remove

houcem
April 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
How to remove a package, all unused dependencies and all preferences and config files that it created in only one command? When I use dpkg --purge hidden config files or folders (containing plugins...) always remain in ~!

spcwingo
April 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
For example say you wanted to remove vlc, all orphaned dependencies, and config files run:

sudo apt-get remove --purge vlc && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo rm -rf ~/.vlc

WARNING: Please be sure you enter the config folder location correctly. The command "sudo rm -rf" is very powerful and has the potential to destroy your install as well as everything else on the HDD.

sheshbesh
April 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
You may want to look into using aptitude, that takes care of removing unnecessary dependencies automatically:

sudo aptitude purge package_name
or the tricky:

sudo aptitude install package_name_
where the _ following the package name overrides the install command and tells aptitude to purge it (=remove+remove config files)
(I, myself, prefer using the lower-level apt-get as indicated in post #2)

snova
April 4th, 2009, 01:25 AM
How to remove a package, all unused dependencies and all preferences and config files that it created in only one command? When I use dpkg --purge hidden config files or folders (containing plugins...) always remain in ~!

How to remove the dependencies and system-wide configuration files has already been covered, but I don't think there's anything you can do about user-specific files (at least not through dpkg/apt-get/others), because the package manager will never touch your home directory.