PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU contribute to Ubuntu?

ned.b
January 2nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
I think the spirit of Ubuntu is something we can all appreciate especially when we are the recipients, but how many of us are willing or able to give back to the community? Do we have more time than money? Do we have more ability than time? Maybe we have more money than either!? How can we best help?

Iandefor
January 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
I try to help out in the tech support forums, but I find I've been doing that less and less. I think I'll make a point of doing that more often.

chimera
January 2nd, 2006, 07:53 PM
use it, encourage other ppl to use it, fold for TeamUbuntu

xequence
January 2nd, 2006, 07:57 PM
I do something else - please explain

I post totally non ubuntu related stuff in community chat.

sapo
January 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
I help using the forums bandwidth.. lol.. i stay refreshing it all day, this is the only place i can cure my "boredom" :mrgreen:

And of course i help spreading ubuntu, i ve installed it for some friends, and aways help the newbies to install and configure it, but 99,9% come back to windows, and i end up losing time teaching them for nothing :(

chimera
January 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
I do something else - please explain

I post totally non ubuntu related stuff in community chat.

:lol:

Perfect Storm
January 2nd, 2006, 08:03 PM
Helps out on the forum answering questions. Also helping out in doc.gwos.org especially on the gaming area. Wrote some howto's also.

mstlyevil
January 2nd, 2006, 08:08 PM
I have been trying to get some people I know to give Ubuntu a spin. I also try to help out on the forums by pointing people to automatix and some how to's. I don't know enough about the technical aspects of Linux/Ubuntu to give detailed advice. As I learn more I will contribute according to my knowledge.

anil_robo
January 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
I contribute by:
1. Helping out newbies with whatever little knowledge I've got
2. Making polls and voting on polls that reflect crucial issues in Ubuntu.
3. I had suggested a marketing idea to ubuntu, and as a result some laptop companies have started giving out pre-installed ubuntu on their machines.
4. Using it, discovering new things that can be put to productive use by others, and share it through the forums.

raublekick
January 2nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
I help out on the forums when I can, which isn't very often. But I use it and try to spread it, too.

jc87
January 2nd, 2006, 08:40 PM
- I tell people how Ubuntu and Gnu/Linux in general are so good.

- I help noobs at #Ubuntu on @ptnet

- i write some tutorials (all in Portuguese , i´m thinking in translate the last two for English) :

For Ubuntu i written a small tutorial , which explain how to use my sources.list (basically the reps and the CLI necessary). Link (http://clientes.netvisao.pt/xw166644/Repositorios.html)

For Gnome i written a small tutorial about the eye candy very basic stuff (like icons , gdm , panels , etc... ) Link (http://clientes.netvisao.pt/xw166644/gnome24horas.html)

For Gnu/Linux i written a article called Gnu/Linux for dummies , who talks about Gnu/Linux in general . Link (http://clientes.netvisao.pt/xw166644/Artigo%20Gnu_Linux%20for%20dummies.html)

I also post at the community chat and bash wintendo all the time:D , and i accomplished to get at least 15 people to use firefox instead of IE.

23meg
January 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM
- Testing the development releases, filing and helping squash bugs
- Triaging bugs as part of the Bug Squad
- Contributing to documentation
- Helping people on the forums, mailing lists and IRC

(Edit: Updated for December 2007)

cutOff
January 2nd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Sharing official Ubuntu CDs and encouraging people to use ubuntu instead of hasefroch ;)

Regards

jsmidt
January 3rd, 2006, 02:23 AM
I contribute by:

2. Making polls and voting on polls that reflect crucial issues in Ubuntu.

I really think polls are more important than people think. Like they say on Monty Python, true power is derived from the masses.

I like trying to help out around the forums and by promoting Ubuntu. :D

TravisNewman
January 3rd, 2006, 02:35 AM
I'm an official Ubuntu member. I use it, encourage others to use it, help out on the forums, write documentation, founded the Ubuntu Women project and Collage Linux, and I'm a member of the Canonical sponsored laptop testing team. I've been taking time off from everything lately, but I'm starting to get back into it (my job changed drastically, and I've been getting used to living OUTSIDE of work because of it).

ned.b
January 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
curious - I assumed everyone here would be using Ubuntu :???:

Pablo_Escobar
January 3rd, 2006, 01:18 PM
I don't use it any more, but Ubuntu will always be in my mind, because it is the distro that made me switch from M$.
I try to give some support on this board and Polish forum also.
I also try to keep up with Ubuntu News on Irc @ Freenode :)

bonzodog
January 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM
I am a member of Team Bahamut, adding stuff to The Ubuntu Document Storage Facility (http://doc.gwos.org/) , and I have signed the Code of Conduct, and filed bugs in launchpad. I also help out where I can in the forums, and help in #ubuntuforums on freenode IRC.

Clazzy
January 3rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Not being a regular poster, I can't say I help other people that much , but I do try when I can. I'm always using Ubuntu, and I'm making it my aim to completely switch by the time I go to university next September. I'm encouraging most people I know to try out Ubuntu as well. Some people have expressed a genuine interest in it. Finally, I've started trying out all my hardware to check for compatability with Ubuntu and am listing it on the Wiki.
I'm using Dapper right now, but I haven't had the chance to post bug reports yet since everyone's got there before me and I don't really use a wide scope of programs.

tseliot
January 3rd, 2006, 02:21 PM
I use Ubuntu and encourage other people to use it.

I'm a member of the Tweaker team and I write guides.
I help out on the forums mainly about problems related to my guides (Nvidia Drivers, Nvidia TVout and Kernel compilation above all).

I'm learning how to write shells in Linux so as to be even more helpful to the Community.

Alberto

cutOff
January 3rd, 2006, 02:34 PM
I don't use it any more, but Ubuntu will always be in my mind, because it is the distro that made me switch from M$.
I try to give some support on this board and Polish forum also.
I also try to keep up with Ubuntu News on Irc @ Freenode :)
For curiosity, what distro do you use actually?

EDIT

BTW I've noticed that my Posts number doesn't grow anymore ¿? Does anybody know why?

ned.b
January 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
EDIT

BTW I've noticed that my Posts number doesn't grow anymore ¿? Does anybody know why?[/QUOTE]

Tus correos no aumentar en el communidad de charlar

lo siento para mi español mal :) espero que es comprensible jeje

cutOff
January 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM
I understand. Damn! I didn't know :???:

cutOff
January 3rd, 2006, 03:06 PM
Duplicated

anil_robo
January 4th, 2006, 01:45 AM
EDIT

BTW I've noticed that my Posts number doesn't grow anymore ¿? Does anybody know why?
Posts in community chat do not contribute to your posts count http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/hells/lala.gif

Dr. Nick
January 4th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I use it and I help in the forums, and IRC when I am bored and feel like doing something fast-paced :)

I cant really convince others to use it since one of the people I would try to convince is a die hard mac addict and spends his time telling me I should just stop messing with linux and "buy something that just works"

I have however tried and may have successfully convinced people to use other open source software like firefox and open office. I gave a speech in one of my classes on open source vs closed source.

macogw
December 27th, 2006, 09:45 AM
use it, spread it, help on here, fold, and study more programming languages in hopes of becoming useful for coding.

Dr. Nick, I keep install files for OOo and Firefox on my flash drive (along with anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-adware apps) so that when I'm fixing other people's computers, I can give them those programs. I had the girls in my dorm ask where they could pirate Office. They now use OOo instead.

Praxicoide
December 28th, 2006, 07:35 AM
I encourage others to use it. Today I took my ubuntu CD with me and got two people to try it on dual boot.

I'm new to ubuntu, but I will try to see how I can be of help. I don't have much money. I could translate, If that's any help. I'm going to find out more about Team Ubuntu and probably help with that, since I never do anything too CPU heavy.

maxamillion
December 28th, 2006, 07:37 AM
if you really wanna know, click my signature ... it goes to my ubuntu page :)

sloggerkhan
December 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM
I show off ubuntu to people a lot and hopefully convert them. Sometimes I have something useful to say in the forums, but I don't know too much. Sometimes I help with bug reports/troubleshooting, but only when I have a lot of time.

shrimphead
December 28th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I use, advocate and help out on the forums where I can.

I have a stack of Ubuntu CD's on my desk at work for people to help themselves, and I always talk to people who are looking interested.

I'd like to get involved with developing some projects, in fact it's one of my new years resolutions. Trying to find the time around work/family life can be hard but I'm gonna give it a try

suziequzie
January 3rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
As well as clicking the first 3 (hey, I think I *have* answered one or two questions here... that counts, right?) I also clicked on

I do something else... Please Explain.

I am going to be doing an installation on my sister's best friend Lara's computer. My sister showed off her Kubuntu desktop PC and Lara fell in love with it, and has asked me to install it on hers to fix her "broken" windows computer. I am going to try and teach them how to use it, provide them notebooks with tips written in it (with penguin stickers!!!)

I gave them a Knoppix LiveCD to make sure their hardware is good, and it is... (her computer wasn't broken, her windows was broken). So, they'll have had 2 weeks getting familiar with KDE by the time I get there.

I figure I have to not only encourage others to use Ubuntu (or K- or X- Ubuntu), I have to be willing to teach them what I've already learned, even though I'm sure I still have lots more to learn...

Also gave disks to my local computer store when they guy who owns it expressed an interest in installing it on his refurb systems.

malcolmb
January 3rd, 2007, 04:12 AM
I use it, convert others to use it as well as teaching them the whole culture of linux and foss.

I also had the chance to introduce ubuntu into the learning curriculum at my school.

WiseElben
January 3rd, 2007, 04:45 AM
The first three. They are the easiest, yet the most important, to do.

haxer
January 3rd, 2007, 05:23 AM
I translate some software for it. uses it to:) Why so little people donate money?

BWF89
January 3rd, 2007, 05:28 AM
I use it. I would only recommend K/X/Ubuntu to a friend if I knew they were computer savvy and didn't mind reading documentation and using forums. I'd help out with stuff but I don't know enough about it yet as I've just started using it.

purdy hate machine
January 5th, 2007, 09:08 AM
curious - I assumed everyone here would be using Ubuntu :???:

Far from it. I promote Linux to anyone I believe would benefit from it, the actual distro that I recommend depends entirely on the individuals needs.

daning
January 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I encourage my friends to use ubuntu.
And i teach my parents to turn to ubuntu from windows.

Magnes
January 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Besides of the first three options I'm going to make some small (at first) apps for linux in the future (for several reasons).

Sockerdrickan
December 14th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Cool thread!
Bump ;)

I write emulators for Linux

Tundro Walker
December 15th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I write completely useless script programs that may someday refine my programming skills enough so I might contribute useful software back to the community.

But, until then, you're stuck with pointless stuff like this...

-grubby
December 15th, 2007, 07:43 AM
the first 3

FuturePilot
December 15th, 2007, 07:48 AM
I use it, I encourage others to use it (but I don't force it), I help out in the forums, and I make bug reports.

Lostincyberspace
December 15th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I give out free live cds and a couple have actually come back to me from different people.

barbedsaber
December 15th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I have given 4 people gutsy live cds, and I have only had it for a week and a half. problem is, whenever synaptic asks me for it, to install somthing, I dont have a copy cause I gave it away.

popch
December 15th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I have given 4 people gutsy live cds, and I have only had it for a week and a half. problem is, whenever synaptic asks me for it, to install somthing, I dont have a copy cause I gave it away.

You can tell your system not to ask for the CD. See System -> Adminstrative tasks -> Software sources (the names of the menu items might be different; I do not have the English version of Ubuntu).

ericesque
December 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM
first 3.

I've just started using Ubuntu full time in the last few months. I'm hoping to start contributing more as I get more familiar. Bug reports, squashing, and the oft-forgotten documentation.