PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 and Update Manager

larryw
April 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hello all,
New user, but I thought this topic might fit here better than the beginner area.

I'm new to Ubuntu, but have been running a Debian server at work, so I can at least follow directions ok. ;)

I'm currently running 8.10 and would like to upgrade to 9.04--mainly to fix the static ip issue in 8.10. I'm no stranger to beta software, so that's not an issue.

My problem is that using either -d or -developer release is not showing a distro update in the Upgrade Manager. I've checked that the Software Source dialog is set correctly to normal releases and the server to main. It shows all other available updates, just not the distro.

I guess my question is whether there's a different method to install beta upgrades?

Thanks!
LarryW

sephirothrr
April 3rd, 2009, 07:06 PM
I too am having this problem with my 8.10 desktop, and I would really like some help.

erikenglund
April 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Same here....!

Suha
April 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
same here too :S

Therion
April 3rd, 2009, 09:21 PM
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't do it?

Suha
April 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't do it?

yes i did it :'( and update-manager -d ...

Therion
April 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Well... [scratching head]

I'm pretty sure you can do a dist-upgrade by using the Alternate Install CD. I know it's a download and all but it's not as bad as full blown reinstall (which is what I would suggest you do, personally, but I understand not everyone feels that way).

Suha
April 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Well... [scratching head]

I'm pretty sure you can do a dist-upgrade by using the Alternate Install CD. I know it's a download and all but it's not as bad as full blown reinstall (which is what I would suggest you do, personally, but I understand not everyone feels that way).

what do you have apt.sources ?
i have just ubuntu main, universe, restricted and multiverse.

NoobBiscUiT
April 3rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
i would like to know also ^^

I'm running 8.1 w/ the latest everything but i want 9.04 as it works better (i tried w/ a live USB).

I have tried:
~$ sudo update-manager -d
~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Could it be that they just have not added it to the repositories yet?

larryw
April 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if the distro update is just temporarily off line for some reason. Any way of determining that's the case?

NoobBiscUiT
April 3rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
that would make sense, i'm exploring this forum collecting threads trying to figure out how to do this with no success at all. i have tried multiple commands w/ nothing.

NoobBiscUiT
April 3rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
see this thread for more info:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7008290#post7008290

larryw
April 4th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Cool deal!!
Thanks for finding that thread NoobBiscUiT.
This community rocks.

larryw
April 4th, 2009, 12:24 AM
It's working now!
Cheers to the dev team!