PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing on Dell XPS m1730

k3vsdk
April 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hey, im interested in installing Ubuntu on my Dell XPS m1730 laptop.

I downloaded the Live CD 8.10 64 bit, but when i boot from it, no matter what i choose (Try Ubuntu, Install Ubuntu, Check CD, etc), i get a BusyBox command prompt that loops some I/O error. No graphical user interface to install ubuntu comes up.

Can anyone help?

taurus
April 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
There are a few steps you need to do first before you can install Ubuntu on your Dell laptop.

1. Run checksum to check the integrity of your ISO after you've downloaded it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

2. Burn the ISO image at a slow speed like 4x if you could.

3. At the initial screen, booting from the CD, run check cd for defects to make sure the CD is good before you boot from it.

k3vsdk
April 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply,

Ive already burnt the image, and when i boot from it, no matter what option i chose from the menu (try ubuntu, install ubuntu, check cd), i end up in a BusyBox command prompt which loops some I/O error.

I rule out CD error because ive burned many OS iso's before and never had any problems...

taurus
April 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
If you want to rule out the CD, why not booting it with another machine? If you can run the LiveCD session from it, then the CD is probably good. But if you get the same thing on another machine, then the CD is bad.

Bet you burnt it at a default speed--max?

k3vsdk
April 4th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I'd just like you thank you for being no help what so ever. All you have done is assume i have no idea what im doing.

Why couldnt you have replied either:

a) I dont know why that happened, ive never experienced that before

or

b) Thats a hardware incompatibility error, use the full install iso

Either way i have installed fedora 10 and it works great so i have no need for ubuntu. The error was the same on fedora 10 live cd, but i found out it was a hardware compatibility error, and it required the complete install dvd - Im no doubt sure Ubuntu has one aswell.